How many coding questions were you asked in phone interview?

S

Also did they ask any behavioral questions?

A

No, Just ask little bit background no behavioral questions, and they expect you to solve 2 coding problems , one easy and one medium in total 45 mins

S

Hi,

What difficulty level questions are asked in onsite interview?

C
    1. One of them was a fb feature based design question which had to be coded. I was not asked any behavioral question.

W

I had an onsite screen (I live in Seattle). I discussed my work and a few Android questions, and was only asked one programming question. It was quite challenging, and I answered it in a little more than half an hour. I received an invitation for an onsite.

M

@william19 Can you please, let me know the questions asked to you or some details about it.

W

@mzeus.bolt I'm afraid not, they have you sign an NDA on the way in. I can tell you that everything you need to know is covered in cracking the coding interview 6th edition, which I have been studying for a few weeks now. I will say that I think the biggest factors in my success were talking through the solution that I came up with, rewriting my algorithm a few times before coding, and clearly walking through my code to catch bugs and edge cases (I caught two or three, the interviewer caught one or two).

I did get a call back to come on site for a full round. I failed a first round about 3 years back, so I'm excited about this!

Also, I live in Seattle, so my initial screen was on site at their Seattle location (which is quite spectacular!)

M

@william19 Thanks , all questions are from cracking to the coding interview??? just to know that or there are any questions from leetcode?

S

@william19 Were these in leetcode as well? and if yes, were they the recent ones? Thanks, appreciate this information, I have telephonic in 3 weeks.

W

@shadylady
    No, the questions in this sort of thing are intentionally not from LeetCode or the book. The idea isn't to figure out how good you are at memorizing and recognizing common questions, it's to throw something new at you and see how you respond. If you have ever seen the question that they give you, you should tell them and they'll give you another.

To prepare, you should study common data types and get a sense of their runtime. Hash maps are your best friend! Also, I can't stress enough that Cracking the coding interview 6th edition is worth it. I know it's like $40 on Amazon, but it is really the best resource for this sort of thing.

Also recognize this very important fact: Facebook is looking for a very small and specific group of people, and the interview is meant to figure out if you are likely to be part of that group. There is no shame in not being in that group! Get some interviews with some other companies or startups as well, and if Facebook doesn't work out for spend some time at another tech company. Experience may put you into that group (or it may not, and that's okay too.)

Interviewing isn't like an exam; you can study, but a rejection means that they think you might not thrive at Facebook, and not that you somehow messed up. Do other interviews, get other offers from places that are less specific in who they are looking for, and maybe in a few years you can try again (though who knows? At that point maybe you won't want to!)

S

@william19 thanks for your wonderful advice. And good luck with onsite. Will look forward to your feedback once you're done with it (and come out victorious!)

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.