8ms C++ code, some ideas about optimization [spoiler]

R

The key idea of the optimization is to look up a 4 bit chuck and find out what the reverse is. For example, reverse of 0001 is 1000 (in decimal reverse of 1 is 8). Another example, reverse of 1010 is 0101, meaning reverse of 10 is 5.

Based on this idea we could create a look up table:

value -> reverse

0 ------> 0

1 ------> 8

... ------> ...

15 ------> 15

This can be further optimized by using bytes lookup table of size 256 but I am too lazy to generate the table : ). Note, place the table initialization outside the reverseBits() routine is necessary for performance.

In theory, using look up table may improve the performance as we are dealing with 4 bits each time. Comparing to the method that iteratively swaps two bits each time, the method below should be faster.
    Given the 600 test cases, the performance difference is not dramatic though.

During each iteration, shift the output 4 bits to the left, and discard the lowest 4 bits from the input. Make sure the reverse of current lowest 4 bits is saved to the current highest 4 bits in the output.

char tb[16] = {0,8,4,12,2,10,6,14,1,9,5,13,3,11,7,15};

uint32_t reverseBits(uint32_t n) {
            int curr = 0;
            uint32_t ret = 0;
            uint32_t msk = 0xF;
            for(int i = 0; i< 8; i++) {
                ret = ret << 4;
                curr = msk&n;
                ret |= tb[curr];
                n = n >> 4;
            }
            return ret;
    }

E

so can it be regarded as trade-off between time complexity and space complexity? If i wanna use a table to contain information of 8bits, which makes size of array as 2^8. But the time complexity would reduce further more, cause only 32/8=4 loops are needed.

R

Right, we need 256 bytes lookup table in this case.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.