Python, Straightforward with Explanation

def findDerangement(self, N):
        MOD = 10**9 + 7
        X, Y = 1, 0
        for n in xrange(2, N+1):
            X, Y = Y, (n - 1) * (X + Y) % MOD
        return Y

Let D(N) be the required answer. The recursion for the number of derangements of N is: D(N) = (N-1) * (D(N-1) + D(N-2)). With this recursion in hand, the problem becomes similar to finding the N-th fibonacci number.

To prove it, suppose there are people and hats labelled 1...N. We want the number of ways to put a hat on each person such that no person is wearing their hat. The first person has N-1 choices to put on a hat, say he wears hat X. Now consider what hat person X is wearing. Either he takes hat 1, and we have D(N-2) ways to arrange the remaining hats among people; or he doesn't take hat 1, which if we relabelled it as hat X, would have D(N-1) ways to arrange the remaining hats.

Q

Why am I Time Limit Exeed

a = [0 for _ in range(1000050)]
        a[1], a[2], a[3] = 0, 1, 2
        for i in range(4, n+1):
            a[i] = ((i-1)*(a[i-2]+a[i-1]))%(1000000007)
        return a[n]

Q

a = [0]*1000050 has less time than a = [0 for _ in range(1000050)]

T

Nice idea!
    Emulate your method:

public class Solution {
        public int findDerangement(int n) {
            if(n==1) return 0;
            if(n==2) return 1;

//long[] dp=new long[n+1];
            long mod=(long)(1e9+7);

long x=0,y=1;
            for(int i=3;i<=n;i++){
                long sum=(i-1)*(x+y)%mod;
                x=y;
                y=sum;
            }
            return (int)y;
        }
    }

A little more explanation:

For the original D(n-1) problem, each person in 1 -- n-1 may get his own hat, so each person (including person x) only have n-2 choices;

For the D(n) problem:
    While after the first person pick the Hat X, there are n-1 persons left , all persons left other than X have n-2 choices, and person X have n-1 choices;

And for person X: if x pick some hat other than hat_1, means X also only have n-2 choices. n-1 persons and each has n-2 choices == D(n-1) problem;
    if x pick hat_1, than there are only n-2 persons left, and each has n-3 choices == D(n-2) prolbem;

@qsj why did you do so? for n = 1, you also assign such an array for it. Then, of course it will lead to TLE.

This post is deleted!

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.