Ideas behind the O(n) two-pass and one-pass solutions

F

Well, you've probably already seen the O(n) solution here. If you've ever wondered how it is done, here is a detailed explanation. It will begin with the naive O(nlogn) solution by sorting, then transition to the O(n) two-pass solution and eventually the O(n) one-pass solution.

I -- Naive solution by sorting

The original problem is asking for the shortest subarray that needs to be sorted in order to make the whole input array sorted. Assume nums is the input array with length n, nums_sorted is the sorted version of nums, nums[i, j](both indices inclusive) is such a subarray of the shortest length. Since we only need to sort nums[i, j] in order to transform nums into nums_sorted, all other elements in nums are left intact, which means the subarray nums[0, i - 1] will be exactly the same as subarray nums_sorted[0, i - 1], and the subarray nums[j + 1, n - 1] exactly the same as nums_sorted[j + 1, n - 1]. We can also conclude nums[i] != nums_sorted[i] and nums[j] != nums_sorted[j]. Otherwise the subarray nums[i, j] will not be the shortest (for example, if nums[i] == nums_sorted[i], sorting nums[i + 1, j] will also render nums sorted).

Therefore, the shortest subarray can be constructed as follows: its leftmost index can be obtained by finding the first index at which the two elements of nums and nums_sorted are different while its rightmost index can be obtained by finding the last such index.

The straightforward way for finding the two boundary indices would be comparing elements from nums and nums_sorted one by one. But we need to construct nums_sorted from nums first. This is the following O(nlogn) time and O(n) space solution:

public int findUnsortedSubarray(int[] nums) {
        int[] nums_sorted = Arrays.copyOf(nums, nums.length);
        Arrays.sort(nums_sorted);

int i = 0, j = nums.length - 1;

while (i < nums.length && nums[i] == nums_sorted[i]) i++;
        while (i < j && nums[j] == nums_sorted[j]) j--;

return j - i + 1;
    }

II -- O(n) time two-pass solution

It turns out that the two boundary indices i and j can be found in linear time, if we take advantage of the following three properties:

1. nums[0, i - 1] and nums[j + 1, n - 1] are both sorted.

2. nums[i] != nums_sorted[i] and nums[j] != nums_sorted[j].

3. nums[i - 1] <= min and max <= nums[j + 1], where min and max are the minimum and maximum values of subarray nums[i, j].

The first and third properties guarantee that the subarray nums[0, i - 1] will be exactly the same as subarray nums_sorted[0, i - 1], and the subarray nums[j + 1, n - 1] exactly the same as nums_sorted[j + 1, n - 1], while the second property ensures that i will be the first index at which the two elements of nums and nums_sorted are different and j be the last such index.

Since we aim at the shortest subarrays, from the first property alone, we need to find the two longest sorted subarrays starting at index 0 and ending at index n - 1, respectively. Assume the two subarrays are nums[0, l] and nums[r, n - 1]. If there is overlapping between these two subarrays, i.e.l >= r, then the whole array is sorted so 0 will be returned. Otherwise, the input array is not sorted. However, we cannot say sorting nums[l, r] will leave the whole array sorted, because at this moment the third property may not be satisfied.

To guarantee the third property, assume min and max are the minimum and maximum values of subarray nums[l, r], then we need to decrease l as long as nums[l] > min, and increase r as long as nums[r] < max. After this is done, it can be shown that the second property will be met automatically, and nums[l + 1, r - 1] will be the shortest subarray we are looking for (that is, i = l + 1 and j = r - 1).

Finding the longest subarrays and the maximum and minimum values of the middle subarray takes one-pass. Ensuring the third property requires a second pass. Therefore we have this two-pass solution:

int l = 0, r = nums.length - 1, max = Integer.MIN_VALUE, min = Integer.MAX_VALUE;

while (l < r && nums[l] <= nums[l + 1]) l++;

if (l >= r) return 0;

while (nums[r] >= nums[r - 1]) r--;

for (int k = l; k <= r; k++) {
            max = Math.max(max, nums[k]);
            min = Math.min(min, nums[k]);
        }

while (l >= 0 && min < nums[l]) l--;
        while (r < nums.length && nums[r] < max) r++;

return (r - l - 1);
    }

III -- O(n) time one-pass solution

To understand this one-pass solution, we need to introduce some equivalent mathematical models for describing a sorted array (assuming in ascending order). Suppose the given array is nums with length n, these models are as follows:

1. nums[k] <= nums[k + 1] for all 0 <= k < n - 1.

2. nums[k] == max[k] for all 0 <= k <= n - 1, where max[k] is the maximum value of subarray nums[0, k].

3. nums[k] == min[k] for all 0 <= k <= n - 1, where min[k] is the minimum value of subarray nums[k, n - 1].

The first model is the most common one (and probably the most familiar one) while the last two are less common. It's easy to show that the second model is equivalent to the first by noting that for any index k < n - 1, we have max[k] <= max[k + 1], then nums[k] = max[k] <= max[k + 1] = nums[k + 1]. Similar results hold for the third model: nums[k] = min[k] <= min[k + 1] = nums[k + 1].

With these models in place, we can show that if indices i and j satisfy the following conditions, then nums[i, j] will be the shortest subarray we are looking for:

1. i is the smallest index such that nums[i] != min[i];
    2. j is the largest index such that nums[j] != max[j].

The proof proceeds by showing that the two conditions above are equivalent to the three properties in part II.

Firstly we will show that the first property in part II is held true. From condition 1, we have nums[k] == min[k] for all 0 <= k < i. Then nums[k] = min[k] <= min[k + 1] = nums[k + 1] for all k < i - 1. By definition, nums[0, i - 1] is sorted. Similarly from condition 2, nums[k] == max[k] for all j < k <= n - 1. Then nums[k] = max[k] <= max[k + 1] = nums[k + 1] for all j < k < n - 1. By definition, nums[j + 1, n - 1] is sorted.

Then we will show the third property is satisfied. Let min_m and max_m be the minimum and maximum values of subarray nums[i, j], respectively, then we have min_m >= min[i] >= min[i - 1] = nums[i - 1] and max_m <= max[j] <= max[j + 1] = nums[j + 1].

Lastly we will show that the second property is also valid. Note that if the first and third properties are both true, then we know the subarray nums[0, i - 1] will be exactly the same as subarray nums_sorted[0, i - 1], and the subarray nums[j + 1, n - 1] exactly the same as nums_sorted[j + 1, n - 1]. In this case just suppose we have nums[i] == nums_sorted[i] and nums[j] == nums_sorted[j], let's see what will happen. Since the subarrays nums[i, n - 1] and nums_sorted[i, n - 1] contain exactly the same elements (though the order may be different), then the minimum element of the former will be the same as the latter. Since nums_sorted[i, n - 1] is sorted in ascending order, we will have min[i] = nums_sorted[i] = nums[i], which contradicts the assumption that nums[i] != min[i]. Similarly we can show that nums[j] == nums_sorted[j] implies nums[j] == max[j], which contradicts the assumption that nums[j] != max[j].

Finding the smallest index i such that nums[i] != min[i] and the largest index j such that nums[j] != max[j] can be done in one-pass, as shown below. Note that we don't really need arrays to hold values for min[r] and max[l], by taking advantage of the recurrence relation min[r] = Math.min(min[r + 1], nums[r]) and max[l] = Math.max(max[l - 1], nums[l]). Also we initialized the indices i and j such that correct results will be returned even if the input array is already sorted (which requires initially j - i + 1 = 0).

int i = 0, j = -1, max = Integer.MIN_VALUE, min = Integer.MAX_VALUE;

for (int l = 0, r = nums.length - 1; r >= 0; l++, r--) {
            max = Math.max(max, nums[l]);
            if (nums[l] != max) j = l;

min = Math.min(min, nums[r]);
            if (nums[r] != min) i = r;
        }

return (j - i + 1);
    }

H

Great explanation, thanks help me understand how to get O(N)

V

Excellent logic. It is much easier to visualize after reading your text. Thank a lot.

Y

It is impressive!

thank you!!!

U

thank you. best explanation.

C

thank you!!!

P

it's a easy question.
    I Will choose the naïve solution. Awesome job
    Buddy

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.