Does anyone know the symbol “#” means and how dose the OJ build a Binary Tree?

P

I tested my code in local,it comes out the right answer,but it can't run on the OJ,any help will be appreciated

public int maxDepth(TreeNode root) {
    	int left=0;
    	int right=0;
    	if(root==null) return 0;
    	if(root.val==0)root.val=1;
    	if(root.left!=null){
    	    root.left.val=root.val+1;
    		left=maxDepth(root.left);
    	}
    	if(root.right!=null){
    		root.right.val=root.val+1;
    		right=maxDepth(root.right);
    	}
    	if(right!=0||left!=0){
    		if(right>=left)return right;
    		else return left;
    	}
    	return root.val;		
    }

the OJ says that when input is {3,9,15,3,#,#,9,7} the expected answer is 3,but my code runs to get 5

M

If you don't know why you're wrong, then you shouldn't have closed the question.

You do realize you are destroying almost all the information in the tree aside from structure as a side effect of this function, right?

On that note, you are getting the wrong answer because you assume the root.val is 0 or 1 for the true root. With the input provided, the root.val = 3, and then you assign root.val+1 (4) to both children, and then child.val+1(5) to the grandchildren. The grandchildren then return that value back up the chain to give you your answer. If root.val were 0 or 1, it would change 0 to 1, change child.val to 1+1=2, and then change gchild.val to 2+1=3, technically giving the correct answer.

While incredibly evil code with its side effect, it will work if the true root.val is 0 or 1, and fail in all other cases.

As for your title question, the printed trees use a modified level-order traversal described on several tree problems under the "confused what "{1,#,2,3}" means? > read more on how binary tree is serialized on OJ." link. The # means end of line of descent, not just "This is a null element," but is otherwise a level-order traversal.

P

thanks very much,your answer make me impressive,it helps me solved this problem

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.