Construct String from Binary Tree

Click here to see the full article post

How about this case [1,2,3,null,null,null,4] ?

The expected answer is "1(2)(3()(4))", not sure why we omit the other two "()()".

@Cornelius194968 For leaf nodes we only have to print the value of that node.

Good solution but a mirror mistake on iterative version: Since you use String Concatenation "+", every time you do a string concatenation, it declares a new string rather than add after the previous result string. It consumes lots of memory when the string grows. Should consider using StringBuilder/StringBuffer.

A Typo : Minor, not mirror...

@new2500 Yes you are right. I have replaced the string by StringBuilder. THanks.

I have similar question as 'Cornelius194968'. For input [1,2,null,3,4], my answer is "1(2(3)(4))()", while the expected answer is "1(2(3)(4))". I think my answer is correct. Otherwise the input of [1,2,3,4] and [1,2,null,3,4] generates the same output. Obviously that's not correct.

My answer is the same as approach #1 but I get this error:
    Line 15: TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'int' and 'str'

Any ideas why?

• Definition for a binary tree node.
    • public class TreeNode {
    • int val;
    • TreeNode left;
    • TreeNode right;
    • TreeNode(int x) { val = x; }
    • }
      class Solution {
      String answer = "";
      public String tree2str(TreeNode t) {
        if (t==null)return "";
        if (t.left == null && t.right==null){
            return t.val+"";
        if (t.right==null){            
            return t.val+"("+tree2str(t.left)+")";                        
        }else  return t.val+"("+tree2str(t.left)+")("+tree2str(t.right)+")";                                          

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.