[IMPORTANT NOTICE] Cheating Announcement

CHEATING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM.

You will get disqualified from the contest and banned for three weeks on your first offense, and get banned permanently on your second offense.

During LeetCode Weekly Contest 30, we caught the following users who cheated. We omitted the middle part of their names but you know who you are! Also, the following users' cheating solutions have been voided to reflect a fair results to all participants. We take cheating very seriously! If we catch you cheating again your account will be banned immediately.

l*******************m
    f********g
    n********************m
    d*******a
    r**********8
    r***u
    p*******c
    M*****n
    H*****y
    j***e
    j***h

Since the LeetCode Team started organizing contest half year ago, our goal is to provide a fair and unbiased platform for everyone to showcase their coding and algorithmic ability. Not only does cheating undermine the spirit of a fair contest, but it works to diminish the fun and enjoyment of others. We will continue to monitor cheating behavior, as well as take action as needed to preserve the integrity of contest.

We sincerely hope that each of you -- an honest, trustworthy individual with integrity can enjoy and participate in a fair and unbiased contest. If you suspect any other users cheating or if you have any good ideas or suggestions, please drop us an e-mail at: support@leetcode.com.

Enjoy the following weekly contests! :)

Best,

LeetCode Team

M

I would suggest:
    1st cheating = disqualification + ban (3 weeks)
    2nd cheating = 1 year OR permanent ban

@MichaelPhelps Thanks for your suggestion. I think it makes sense. I have just updated the notice.

@1337c0d3r Well done! Thanks!

I am also wondering how did they cheat?

S

How were they caught cheating? Or let's say what is considered cheating?

M

@shawngao
    One way to find is to detect cheating is to check the same IP address submissions with different accounts. If same/similar codes were detected, a flag should be raised for the final check. The benefit you can get is to avoid the 5 minutes penalty for wrong submissions. But I really don't understand why they do that. The competition itself is a good training for complete and logic thinking process. For the grand prize???

G

I have a long-time concern. What if multiple people using one account to contest?
    I find this situation a lot : someone finished the contest in a very short time and the elapsed time after each problem is something like: 5min, 7min, 9min, 14min. That seems he/she used 5min, 2min, 2min, 5min for each problem if he/she solved them one by one. Usually the first problem is the easiest, and the next few are harder. It looks very unreasonable for this situation: why harder problems took less time to finish? One explanation is that multiple people were using one account to contest.

M

@guan.huifeng
    Seems incredible to me but I would rather think they are fantastic competitors unless one can prove beyond any reasonable doubt.

A

How do you detect cheating?

Hi @guan.huifeng ,

The IP will be checked. : )

Hi all,

Sorry, we can't provide the details regarding how we catch cheating, since if we provide the way we checked then someone might use some specific techniques to anti-check.

To sum up, just trust our team and think us as a black box, and we will try our best to make each contest a fair one. Again, if you found anyone cheating, you could report it to our official e-mail support@leetcode.com.

Best,
    LeetCode Team.

J

I wonder how the cheating takes place? Is it some kind of hacking or browsing online to find solutions? Or collaborating in a team? What are the criteria that identify the solution as cheated solution?

L

@shawngao I wonder that too! LOL

D

I guess simplest way to hack is multiple logins to same account and solving different questions and making a submissions. This will reduce the time for each submission. This can be detected by checking IP for submission. Another way is to login to same machine but working in a team with each member of working on different questions. This cannot be caught by checking IP but can be detected by time difference between submissions or time taken to finish all problems.

L

Why would anyone want to cheat in contest?? For the prize or??

D

@shawngao I am wondering why??

Z

@dqi2 i also wondering why cheating for $100 amazon gift card?

V
    This post is deleted!

Y

what kind of cheating is "cheating"?

S

@dhananjay6 Simply login a different account. Check all the problems, finish questions by multiple people offline. Gather all solutions to 1 account & 1 PC. No way to detect.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.