ns+= splited[j].charAt(i);
    }
    ns+=" ";
    }
    ns = ns.substring(0, ns.length()-1);
    return ns;
    }
    }

My code exceeded the time limit. Can someone please tell me why my code is much slower? It is the StringBuffer reverse method faster than implemented by hand?

@kelviny4291
    I used StringBuffer instead of String. String is immutable in Java. For the + operation of String, it literally create a new string and pop all the characters into the new one.
    For example, you want to append "aaa" and "bb".
    For StringBuffer, you create a stringbuffer contains aaa first. That is StringBuffer sb = new StringBuffer("aaa");
    And then sb.append("bb"). It will just append "bb" to sb, nothing new is created.
    But if you have String str = "aaa" and do str+"bb". First of all, Java will create a new String newStr. This time, the length of character array stored in string object is increased from 3 to 5. And then add "aaabb" to the new character array. So the complexity of this operation (n1 + (n1+n2) + ... (n1+...+nk)) where n1 to nk is the length of each string. That is O(kn_avg^2)
    But the complexity of StringBuffer is (n1+n2+....+nk). That is O(kn_avg). (n_avg is the average length of the strings)

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.