Not the optimal answer, but want to know why not working

G

Can someone explain to me why this cannot be the answer? What's the proper way to deal with unsigned integers here?

public class Solution {
        // you need to treat n as an unsigned value
        public int hammingWeight(int n) {
            int num = 0;

for (int i = 0; i < 32; i++) 
            {
                if (n % 2 == 1) {
                    num++;   
                }
                n = n >> 1; 
            }
            return num;
        }
    }xa
    ```![alt text](image url)

O

Hi @grace6, there are two things you need to change in your code:

First, if you only check n % 2 == 1, you are assuming n has a 0 as its left-most bit (n is positive). However, counter cases can be when n < 0, where you need to also check n % 2 == -1. Therefore, simply change the if condition check to (n % 2 != 0) will work for your approach.

Second, again, since n is an unsigned value, which means its left-most bit does not serve for signedness, if you update n = n >> 1, in cases where n < 0, you are not shifting its left-most bit if it is a 1 (since >> preserves signedness). Therefore, you need to change it to n = n >>> 1 (aka. logical shift).

Finally, you will have:

public int hammingWeight(int n) {
            int num = 0;

for (int i = 0; i < 32; i++) 
            {
                if (n % 2 != 0) { //only if the current n is odd (n % 2 == 1 or -1), increment num
                    num++;   
                }
                n = n >>> 1;   //shift n to right regardless of its signedness
            }
            return num;
        }

If anyone has different ideas, please feel free correct me :) hope it helps

G

wow thanks @Oaixoul for the nice explanation! I should have consider negative numbers and the difference between the logical and arithmatic shifts!

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.