DP Solution in 6 lines with explanation. F(i, n) = G(i-1) * G(n-i)

L

The problem can be solved in a dynamic programming way. I’ll explain the intuition and formulas in the following.

Given a sequence 1…n, to construct a Binary Search Tree (BST) out of the sequence, we could enumerate each number i in the sequence, and use the number as the root, naturally, the subsequence 1…(i-1) on its left side would lay on the left branch of the root, and similarly the right subsequence (i+1)…n lay on the right branch of the root. We then can construct the subtree from the subsequence recursively. Through the above approach, we could ensure that the BST that we construct are all unique, since they have unique roots.

The problem is to calculate the number of unique BST. To do so, we need to define two functions:

G(n): the number of unique BST for a sequence of length n.

F(i, n), 1 <= i <= n: the number of unique BST, where the number i is the root of BST, and the sequence ranges from 1 to n.

As one can see, G(n) is the actual function we need to calculate in order to solve the problem. And G(n) can be derived from F(i, n), which at the end, would recursively refer to G(n).

First of all, given the above definitions, we can see that the total number of unique BST G(n), is the sum of BST F(i) using each number i as a root.
    i.e.

G(n) = F(1, n) + F(2, n) + ... + F(n, n). 

Particularly, the bottom cases, there is only one combination to construct a BST out of a sequence of length 1 (only a root) or 0 (empty tree).
    i.e.

G(0)=1, G(1)=1. 

Given a sequence 1…n, we pick a number i out of the sequence as the root, then the number of unique BST with the specified root F(i), is the cartesian product of the number of BST for its left and right subtrees. For example, F(3, 7): the number of unique BST tree with number 3 as its root. To construct an unique BST out of the entire sequence [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7] with 3 as the root, which is to say, we need to construct an unique BST out of its left subsequence [1, 2] and another BST out of the right subsequence [4, 5, 6, 7], and then combine them together (i.e. cartesian product). The tricky part is that we could consider the number of unique BST out of sequence [1,2] as G(2), and the number of of unique BST out of sequence [4, 5, 6, 7] as G(4). Therefore, F(3,7) = G(2) * G(4).

i.e.

F(i, n) = G(i-1) * G(n-i)	1 <= i <= n 

Combining the above two formulas, we obtain the recursive formula for G(n). i.e.

G(n) = G(0) * G(n-1) + G(1) * G(n-2) + … + G(n-1) * G(0) 

In terms of calculation, we need to start with the lower number, since the value of G(n) depends on the values of G(0) … G(n-1).

With the above explanation and formulas, here is the implementation in Java.

public int numTrees(int n) {
        int [] G = new int[n+1];
        G[0] = G[1] = 1;

for(int i=2; i<=n; ++i) {
        	for(int j=1; j<=i; ++j) {
        		G[i] += G[j-1] * G[i-j];
        	}
        }

return G[n];
    }

H

perfect explanation! thx!

L

Thanks. A vote would worth a thousand words.

J

Great solution. I guess it is clearer to say F(i, N) = G(i-1) * G(N-i)

L

Great work! Thanks very much!

C

Thanks.It's very helpful!

S

Awesome! Neat solution

R

The computation can be simplified even more based on symmetry.

int numTrees(int n) {
             int nums[2000]={1,1,};
             int i,x;
             for(x=2;x<=n;x++){
               for(i=1;i<=x/2;i++)
                 nums[x]=nums[x]+nums[i-1]*nums[x-i];
               if(x%2==0)nums[x]=2*nums[x];
               else nums[x]=2*nums[x]+nums[x/2]*nums[x/2];  }
             return nums[n];
    }

I

Can some one please explain "we pick a number i out of the sequence as the root, then the number of unique BST with the specified root F(i), is the cartesian product of the number of BST for its left and right subtrees"

L

yeah, it was not quite clear at the first glance. I give an example here.

"For example, F(3, 7): the number of unique BST tree with number 3 as its root. To construct an unique BST out of the entire sequence [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7] with 3 as the root, which is to say, we need to construct an unique BST out of its left subsequence [1, 2] and another BST out of the right subsequence [4, 5, 6, 7], and then combine them together (i.e. cartesian product). The tricky part is that we could consider the number of unique BST out of sequence [1,2] as G(2), and the number of of unique BST out of sequence [4, 5, 6, 7] as G(4). Therefore, F(3,7) = G(2) * G(4)."

I

Thanks liasion :)

I
    This post is deleted!

Wow, that is great!

M

perfect analysis, it' so clear,thanks so much!

H

very nice, thank your share.

L
    /*    
    Hope it will help you to understand :

n = 0;     null   

count[0] = 1

n = 1;      1       

count[1] = 1 

n = 2;    1__       			 __2     
        		      \					/                 
        		     count[1]	   	count[1]	

count[2] = 1 + 1 = 2

n = 3;    1__				      __2__	                   __3
        		      \		            /       \			      /		
        		  count[2]		  count[1]    count[1]		count[2]

count[3] = 2 + 1 + 2  = 5

n = 4;    1__  					__2__					   ___3___                  
        		      \				 /        \					  /		  \			
        		  count[3]		 count[1]    count[2]		  count[2]   count[1]

__4				
                   /
               count[3]   

count[4] = 5 + 2 + 2 + 5 = 14     

And  so on...
    */

T

Good work explaining at length! I have a slight modification to make to your solution though. I think since the return value is an int, we must protect for Integer overflows.

public int numTrees(int n) {

long[] treesInSequence = new long[n+1];
        treesInSequence[0] = 1;
        treesInSequence[1] = 1;

int intMax = Integer.MAX_VALUE;
        for(int i=2; i<= n; i++) {
            for(int j=1; j<= i; j++) {
                treesInSequence[i] += treesInSequence[j-1]*treesInSequence[i-j];
                if(treesInSequence[i] > intMax) { return -1;}
            }
        }
        return (int) treesInSequence[n];
    }

L

This is beautiful :) Thank you my friend

A

lovely explanation. I knew it was DP problem, but honestly it took me quite a bit of time to find the solution. Thanks so much!

L

Great reasoning, learned a lot!

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.