10 line python solution

Z
    def updateBoard(self, board, click):
        (row, col), directions = click, ((-1, 0), (1, 0), (0, 1), (0, -1), (-1, 1), (-1, -1), (1, 1), (1, -1))
        if 0 <= row < len(board) and 0 <= col < len(board[0]):
            if board[row][col] == 'M':
                board[row][col] = 'X'
            elif board[row][col] == 'E':
                n = sum([board[row + r][col + c] == 'M' for r, c in directions if 0 <= row + r < len(board) and 0 <= col + c < len(board[0])])
                board[row][col] = str(n or 'B')
                for r, c in directions * (not n): self.updateBoard(board, [row + r, col + c])
        return board

@StefanPochmann Suggested a one line for loop to replace my map function, the line used to be like this :)
    not n and map(self.updateBoard, (board,) * 8, [(row + d[0], col + d[1]) for d in directions])

Could be shorter if you didn't misunderstand the input and output type. Currently your solution is even incorrect.

Z

@StefanPochmann can you please remind me which part is incorrect?

For output type it should be clear... there is only one. And when you realize that, you'll also realize which part of the input type it is...

Z

@StefanPochmann Yeah, you are right, just take a look at the input type again, it is indeed nested list, but I remember when I tried to submit my solution the first time, I got such error:
    TypeError: 'str' object does not support item assignment
    Maybe the input type has changed? or maybe my code was wrong somewhere else.

Thanks a lot, I really hate my solution at first, just because the input type...

@zhongyuan9817 I'm sure it was already List[List[str]] a few hours before the contest, otherwise my solution wouldn't have worked when I tested it. I doubt it was changed, but I wasn't around for a while.

Are you keeping the helper function intentionally? You could now get rid of it if you wanted to.

Z

@StefanPochmann Thanks for the information, I would like to get ride of the inner function, it just I was keep getting run time error after I change it. It works fine locally.

class Solution(object):
        def updateBoard(self, board, click):
            row, col, directions = click[0], click[1], ((-1, 0), (1, 0), (0, 1), (0, -1), (-1, 1), (-1, -1), (1, 1), (1, -1))
            if 0 <= row < len(board) and 0 <= col < len(board[0]):
                if board[row][col] == 'M':
                    board[row][col] = 'X'
                elif board[row][col] == 'E':
                    n = sum([board[row + r][col + c] == 'M' for r, c in directions if 0 <= row + r < len(board) and 0 <= col + c < len(board[0])])
                    board[row][col] = n and str(n) or 'B'
                    not n and map(self.updateBoard, (board,) * 8, [(row + d[0], col + d[1]) for d in directions])
            return board

It works fine if I call the recursion without using map

if not n:
        for d in directions:
            self.updateBoard(board, (row + d[0], col + d[1]))

I think the way I used to copy the reference of board object was wrong, as you can see I shadow copied 8 board for each recursive call. What do you think?

@zhongyuan9817 Yeah, I also just found out that your abuse of map prevents you from getting it accepted. Not sure why exactly. But it's appropriate to get punished for that :-P

A one-liner for-loop that also gets it accepted:

for r, c in directions * (not n): self.updateBoard(board, [row + r, col + c])

And a shorter version of your first line:

(row, col), directions = click, ((-1, 0), (1, 0), (0, 1), (0, -1), (-1, 1), (-1, -1), (1, 1), (1, -1))

Z

I like the one liner loop, I will use it in my code, hope you don't mind. :)

@zhongyuan9817 I don't mind :-)

Another shorter piece:

board[row][col] = str(n or 'B')

Z

@StefanPochmann Cool, I like it, always learn something new from you :-)

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.