Java O(n) time O(k) space

We iterate through the input array exactly once, keeping track of the running sum mod k of the elements in the process. If we find that a running sum value at index j has been previously seen before in some earlier index i in the array, then we know that the sub-array (i,j] contains a desired sum.

public boolean checkSubarraySum(int[] nums, int k) {
        Map<Integer, Integer> map = new HashMap<Integer, Integer>(){{put(0,-1);}};;
        int runningSum = 0;
        for (int i=0;i<nums.length;i++) {
            runningSum += nums[i];
            if (k != 0) runningSum %= k; 
            Integer prev = map.get(runningSum);
            if (prev != null) {
                if (i - prev > 1) return true;
            }
            else map.put(runningSum, i);
        }
        return false;
    }

Smart solution! I like it!

@tankztc Thanks!

B

Great solution! Thanks for sharing!

S

I can't believe I just needed to get the modulus to get this method to work. I was scratching my head to figure out how to modify the runningSum method to work.

It looks so simple now. I feel so stupid.

Any suggestions guys how I can improve. I mean there is this leetcode question which is a variant of this and it asks to make the sum exactly equal to target instead of multiple of it. I used the same method for that problem. However, for this, question I couldn't modify the running sum method to work. I feel dumb

Cool!
    Could you explain

{{put(0,-1);}};

in

Map<Integer, Integer> map = new HashMap<Integer, Integer>(){{put(0,-1);}};

?
    Thanks

D

The main idea is that (x + n*k) mod k = x ,which x can be 0,1,...,k-1.

@BryanBo.Cao , I think it initialized the map with map.put(0,-1).

"Double brace initialisation creates an anonymous class derived from the specified class (the outer braces), and provides an initialiser block within that class (the inner braces)." - Quoted from Stackoverflow

@tankztc Cool thanks!
    So we could actually omit the last ';' in

Map<Integer, Integer> map = new HashMap<Integer, Integer>(){{put(0,-1);}};;

Anyway, it's just about the syntax.

Nice solution taking advantage of "non-negative integer"!

H

said in Java O(n) time O(k) space:

if (prev != null) {
    if (i - prev > 1) return true;
    }

Sorry, I'm still having trouble understanding this part. Can someone explain why we need to check the indices and what it means?

@huyanhh This is to make sure that the sub-array is of at least length 2.

H

@compton_scatter

I'm going through your solution with the input [23, 2, 6, 4, 7], k=6, but it seems like I keep messing up.

When I'm at index 3, the map looks like {0:-1, 5:0, 1:1} and runningSum should be 5 so I look up 5 in the map, but then doing i-prev gives me 3, which will return true without checking 7, but shouldn't I check the last one as the subarray needs to include the entire array? Where am I getting this wrong?

@huyanhh The sum of subarray [2,6,4] is 12, which is a multiple of 6.

H

@compton_scatter ohh that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

J

Smart...Now that with this solution we even didn't need to consider those annoying corner cases like [0,0] 100 -> true...

@compton_scatter said in Java O(n) time O(k) space:

if (k != 0) runningSum %= k; 

This is smart.

@shawngao Alternatively, do if (k == 0) k = 0x80000000; before the loop and delete the if (k != 0) :-)

O

I don't understand that why "running sum value at index j has been previously seen before in some earlier index i in the array" can help us decide there's a desired subarray in it?? Could you please kindly explain it? Thanks much @compton_scatter

D

@ohuohuo This is one of those magics of remainder theorem :)

(a+(n*x))%x is same as (a%x)

For e.g. in case of the array [23,2,6,4,7] the running sum is [23,25,31,35,42] and the remainders are [5,1,1,5,0]. We got remainder 5 at index 0 and at index 3. That means, in between these two indexes we must have added a number which is multiple of the k. Hope this clarifies your doubt :)

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.