Python O(n) Solution with Visual Explanation

N

My idea is very similar to others, but let me try to explain it more visually. My thought was inspired by 121. Best Time to Buy and Sell Stock.

Let's have a variable count initially equals 0 and traverse through nums. Every time we meet a 0, we decrease count by 1, and increase count by 1 when we meet 1. It's pretty easy to conclude that we have a contiguous subarray with equal number of 0 and 1 when count equals 0.

What if we have a sequence [0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1]? the maximum length is 4, the count starting from 0, will equal -1, -2, -3, -4, -3, -2, and won't go back to 0 again. But wait, the longest subarray with equal number of 0 and 1 started and ended when count equals -2. We can plot the changes of count on a graph, as shown below. Point (0,0) indicates the initial value of count is 0, so we count the sequence starting from index 1. The longest subarray is from index 2 to 6.

0_1487543028189_figure_1.png

From above illustration, we can easily understand that two points with the same y-axis value indicates the sequence between these two points has equal number of 0 and 1.

Another example, sequence [0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1], as shown below,

0_1487543752969_figure_2.png

There are 3 points have the same y-axis value -2. So subarray from index 2 to 4 has equal number of 0 and 1, and subarray from index 4 to 8 has equal number of 0 and 1. We can add them up to form the longest subarray from index 2 to 8, so the maximum length of the subarray is 8 - 2 = 6.

Yet another example, sequence [0, 1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 1, 0], as shown below. The longest subarray has the y-axis value of 0.

0_1487544400951_figure_3.png

To find the maximum length, we need a dict to store the value of count (as the key) and its associated index (as the value). We only need to save a count value and its index at the first time, when the same count values appear again, we use the new index subtracting the old index to calculate the length of a subarray. A variable max_length is used to to keep track of the current maximum length.

class Solution(object):
        def findMaxLength(self, nums):
            count = 0
            max_length=0
            table = {0: 0}
            for index, num in enumerate(nums, 1):
                if num == 0:
                    count -= 1
                else:
                    count += 1

if count in table:
                    max_length = max(max_length, index - table[count])
                else:
                    table[count] = index

return max_length

T

@NoAnyLove Does this work for the simple case [0, 1] == 2?

N

@tondlibhaji116 Yes, it does. Remember the table variable is initialized with {0: 0}, which indicates it has equal number of 0 and 1 before traversing, and the index is starting with 1. So when we traverse to the 1 of [0, 1], the index is 2, and count is 0 again, index - table[count] = 2 - 0 = 2.

M
    This post is deleted!

M

@NoAnyLove I followed your idea, but made the code more concise.

def findMaxLength(self, nums):
        d = {0: 0}
        key, maxL = 0, 0
        for i in range(len(nums)):
            key += nums[i] or -1
            if key not in d:
                d[key] = i+1
            else:
                maxL = max(maxL, i+1-d[key])
        return maxL

F

Very helpful!!!

L

@NoAnyLove Read the highest voted solution but got confused. Your post helped a lot. Thanks!

J

This is so helpful! thanks alot

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.