"short" java solution, beats 98%

M

Since most top solutions are very long and it's uncomfortable to read, so I share my shorter solution, and it beats 98% java solution.

My idea is simple and clear. it's just like a DFS or a Backtracking solution. word is poor, just look the code.

'''
    public class Solution {

int MAXCOUNT = 6;   // the max balls you need will not exceed 6 since "The number of balls in your hand won't exceed 5"

public int findMinStep(String board, String hand) {
        int[] handCount = new int[26];
        for (int i = 0; i < hand.length(); ++i) ++handCount[hand.charAt(i) - 'A'];
        int rs = helper(board + "#", handCount);  // append a "#" to avoid special process while j==board.length, make the code shorter.
        return rs == MAXCOUNT ? -1 : rs;
    }
    private int helper(String s, int[] h) {
        s = removeConsecutive(s);     
        if (s.equals("#")) return 0;
        int  rs = MAXCOUNT, need = 0;
        for (int i = 0, j = 0 ; j < s.length(); ++j) {
            if (s.charAt(j) == s.charAt(i)) continue;
            need = 3 - (j - i);     //balls need to remove current consecutive balls.
            if (h[s.charAt(i) - 'A'] >= need) {
                h[s.charAt(i) - 'A'] -= need;
                rs = Math.min(rs, need + helper(s.substring(0, i) + s.substring(j), h));
                h[s.charAt(i) - 'A'] += need;
            }
            i = j;
        }
        return rs;
    }
    //remove consecutive balls longer than 3
    private String removeConsecutive(String board) {
        for (int i = 0, j = 0; j < board.length(); ++j) {
            if (board.charAt(j) == board.charAt(i)) continue;
            if (j - i >= 3) return removeConsecutive(board.substring(0, i) + board.substring(j));
            else i = j;
        }
        return board;
    }

}
    '''

J

This solution has accepted.

But it output -1 in the case :"RRWWRRBBRR", "WB".
    The right output is 2.

J

When I comment s = removeConsecutive(s); in function helper,
    then the solution will output 2 in the case :"RRWWRRBBRR", "WB".

private int helper(String s, int[] h) {
    // s = removeConsecutive(s);
    if (s.equals("#")) return 0;

Illustrate:
    After comment it,
    The 'RRRRBBRR' will not be removed.

The process is : 'RRWWRRBBRR' -> 'RRWW[W]RRBBRR' -> 'RRRRBBRR' -> 'RRRRBB[B]RR' -> 'RRRRRR' -> ''

Only need two inserts.

M

yes, as @herbix mentioned, this test have not be included in test cases and the contributor have not think of this situation.

sorry about that.

I guess the intention of the contributor is to check wether their candidates have the ability to use DFS elegantly, but he does not realize that actually is a more difficult problem. And me too, sorry

This post is deleted!

D

@justforcode no, it should output -1, the 4 Rs should be removed immediately, as there are more than 3 balls in the same color touching. That is how zuma works.

Nice solution, but I'm just wondering why did you initialize the handCount to be of size 32?
    To me, 26 is good enough and it also passes the OJ.

S

@fishercoder yes, you are right, 26 is ok!

M

@fishercoder yes,you are right. 26 is ok and it's better for comprehension. I use 32 maybe I think there 32 alphabet in upper case.....

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.