Simple Python

First build all increasing subsequences regardless of length, then filter out the too short ones.

def findSubsequences(self, nums):
        subs = {()}
        for num in nums:
            subs |= {sub + (num,)
                     for sub in subs
                     if not sub or sub[-1] <= num}
        return [sub for sub in subs if len(sub) >= 2]

Z

@StefanPochmann Nice, is there a clean way to generate the permutation without using set? To handling duplicates is a little tricky. Thanks

@zhongyuan9817 I have a post without vector hasher in C++ if you are interested. It just needs to decompose previous results into sections contributed from different array entries, so we can tell if we can append current entry to a previous result without duplication. Actually, handling of duplicates is the primary challenge, in my opinion.

Z

@zzg_zzm Thanks a lot! I have bookmarked the link, will read later!

H

@StefanPochmann That's an elegant solution. I am just wondering what would be the time complexity of this?

@harshaneel said in Simple Python:

@StefanPochmann That's an elegant solution. I am just wondering what would be the time complexity of this?

I am only speaking in terms of C++ since I am not familiar with Python.

Without consideration of the time complexity of array hasher (not sure how Python handles it by default; C++ coder needs to define their own), the time complexity should be O(2^N) in worst case (when given array nums itself is increasing without duplicates).

Note that the final result sub of num[i=1:N] is constructed from the previous result based on nums[i=1:N-1], so each additional new subsequences while looping through for num in nums are

1. [nums[1]]
    2. [nums[2]], [nums[1], nums[2]]
    3. [nums[3]], [nums[1], nums[3]], [nums[2], nums[3]], [nums[1], nums[2], nums[3]]

So there are maximum possible sub[k-1].size+1 new subsequences added when processing nums[k], where sub[k-1].size is the number of subsequences previously found. Therefore, the overall number of subsequences is O(2^N).

Since duplicated sequences are not allowed, in my opinion, it might not be trivial for hash set of array to compute hash values. Again, I am not sure how Python handles it. But theoretically, the overall time complexity should be O(2^N*hasher(N)), where hasher(N) is the hash function on arrays with maximum size N.

Therefore, I think the challenging point of this problem is how to handle duplicates of big size data (e.g., arrays). So choice of programming languages could provide convenience here.

This post is deleted!

@zzg_zzm Apparently hashing takes linear time, as doubling the size doubles the time:

>>> from timeit import timeit
    >>> for e in range(15, 25):
    	seq = tuple(range(2**e))
    	print timeit(lambda: hash(seq), number=100)

But you only counted "substrings". The number of subsequences is exponential, O(2^N).

@StefanPochmann Thanks for the hasher testing. Intuitively, I think it's also O(N) which is the size of array.

I have corrected the sequence count in my post. I don't know why I counted as O(N^2) before...

H

@StefanPochmann said in Simple Python:

return [sub for sub in subs if len(sub) >= 2]

In the last line, sub is a tuple, in my opinion, this should return [(...), (...)],
    but actually it turns out to be right format: return [[...], [....]], but why??

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.