Maximum Gap

Click here to see the full article post

L

Could you explain why the buckets number (maxi - mini) / bucketSize + 1 and ⌈(max−min)/b⌉ are the same thing?

A

@leetcodeaccount it should be (maxi - mini + bucketSize - 1) / bucketSize?

L

@chubin said in Maximum Gap:

@leetcodeaccount it should be (maxi - mini + bucketSize - 1) / bucketSize?

On one hand, you're correct. On the other, your buckets number fails some tests (index out of range) but the wrong version survives.

That's where ⌈(max−min)/b⌉ sounds odd.

A

For array of non-negative integers, the function should return (maxi - mini) immediately if it is not greater than 1.

L

"Sorting an entire array can be costly. At worst, it requires comparing each element with every other element."
    That's not exactly correct -- it would mean that comparison based sort is inherently o(n^2), optimistic quadratic.
    In optimal comparison based solutions a lot of comparisons are inferred by transitivity of order.

_

Is it normal to not even mention the complexity cost of min/max element finding? in the bucket solution the min/max finding the O(n) of min and max is often more relevant than the b term in O(n+b)

J

In the complexity analysis for the bucket approach, there are a number of $O(b)$ terms, but $b$ is defined above to be the size of the bucket. Shouldn't these terms refer to the number of buckets $k$?

If we let $m$ be the difference between the min and max element in the array, then $b \approx m/n$ and $k \approx m/b$, so $k \approx n$.

Y

Why are we setting bucket size as
    int bucketSize = max(1, (maxi - mini) / ((int)nums.size() - 1))>

why nums.size() - 1 ?

T

Hi LeetCoders,

Submitting my solution in python

class Solution(object):
    def maximumGap(self, nums):
    """
    :type nums: List[int]
    :rtype: int
    """
    lenOfnums=len(nums)

if(lenOfnums<2):
            return 0

nums.sort()

maximumGap=0

for i in range(lenOfnums-1):

if(maximumGap < (nums[i+1]-nums[i])):
                    maximumGap=nums[i+1]-nums[i]

return maximumGap

S

Solution with bucketing: factor 'b' is not linear to 'n' because (max-min) can be arbitrarily large. Scanning all such buckets is not linear to n.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.