Javascript ES6 Solution with Explanation

A

This problem has a few things to keep track of, most importantly the maxLength, the depth we are currently at, and the maximum pathLength at any given depth.

We start the problem by splitting the input by \n to give us a clean representation of each level of the file tree, and initialize a maxLength to keep track of our maximum length as well as a pathLength object to keep track of the length of the path to our current depth.

When we loop over a string in our array, we produce a new string with all instances of \t removed, and subtract the length of our new string from the length of our old string to get our current depth;

If the string contains a . we know that it is a filename and we compare maxLength to the length of our new string (without the \t's) added to the pathLength of our current depth, and set maxLength equal to that if it is higher.

Finally, if the current string does not contain ., that means that it is a folder or subfolder, so we set pathLength[depth + 1] equal to the the current pathLength (since that is how many characters it took us to get to this level) added to the length of the current name + 1. We need to add +1 because the next path will have an additional tab character that we need to account for.

const lengthLongestPath = (input) => {
        input = input.split('\n');
        let maxLength = 0;
        let pathLength = {0 : 0};
        for (let i = 0; i < input.length; i++) {
            const name = input[i].replace(/\t/g, '');
            const depth = input[i].length - name.length
            if (name.indexOf('.') !== -1) {
                maxLength = Math.max(result, pathLength[depth] + name.length)
            }
            else {
                pathLength[depth + 1] = pathLength[depth] + (name.length + 1)
            }
        }
        return maxLength
    };

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.