Beat 91% Java solution

Thanks to the paper that @StefanPochmann mentioned in his post. Just as Stefan said, all we need is the graph in page 3. It's really impressive.

Below is the code beating 91% in Java, well, I first time wanted to write a recursive solution, but ended with stackoverflow.

public int magicalString(int n) {
            if (n == 0) return 0;
            if (n <= 3) return 1;

int[] arr = new int[n + 1];
            arr[0] = 1; arr[1] = 2; arr[2] = 2;

int head = 2, tail = 3, val = 1, count = 1;
            while (tail < n) {
                if (val == 1) count += arr[head];
                for (int i = 0; i < arr[head]; i++) {
                    arr[tail++] = val;
                }
                head++;
                val ^= 3;
            }
            if (arr[n] == 1) count--;
            return count;
        }

This doesn't really have anything to do with that paper or my post, though. They're about solving this with only O(log n) space in a different way. What you're doing is just the standard O(n) space solution.

@StefanPochmann Well, actually I get the idea of solving this question from the graph of that paper... I know your post is about O(logn) space, but what I meant is just the relationship between 1s and 2s I got from that graph.

When I first saw this question, actually I have no idea how to do it, and I don't want to search for the right answers from other posts directly, so I read the paper you mentioned. That's all. So this has something to do with that paper, maybe not as advanced as your thought.

Ah, ok.

Anyway... would be interesting to see an O(log n) space solution in languages other than Python. Maybe in Java it could be done nicely with streams?

@StefanPochmann Maybe... I am more than happy to see your Java O(logn) solution... :)

You know more about Java than me actually :/

@StefanPochmann Nice job, man!

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.