Python solution with detailed explanation

G

Solution

Longest Increasing Subsequence https://leetcode.com/problems/longest-increasing-subsequence/

Dynamic Programming: O(N^2)

• LIS[i] stores the longest subsequence that ends at index i. Now LIS[i+1] can be derived from LIS[j] and nums[j]. For an index j (such that 0<=j<=i), we can use nums[i+1] to increase the subsequence that ends at nums[j] by 1 iff nums[i+1] > nums[j]. Now LIS[i+1] is simply the max(LIS[j]+1) for all valid j indices.
    class Solution(object):
        def lengthOfLIS(self, nums):
            """
            :type nums: List[int]
            :rtype: int
            """
            if nums == []:
                return 0
            N = len(nums)
            LIS, max_so_far = [1]*N, 0
            for i in range(N):
                for j in range(i):
                    if nums[i] > nums[j]:
                        LIS[i] = max(LIS[i], LIS[j]+1)
                max_so_far = max(max_so_far, LIS[i])
            return max_so_far

Binary Search Solution: O(Nlg(N))

• tails[i] stores the smallest tail value for all increasing subsequences of length i+1
    • Example: nums = [4,5,19,3].
    • Increasing subsequence of length 1: [4].[5],[19],[3]. Smallest value: 3
    • Increasing subsequence of length 2: [4,5], [5,19], [4,19]: Smallest value: 5
    • Increasing subsequence of length 3: [4,5,19]: Smallest value: 19
    • tails = [3,5,19]. Clearly tails will be sorted since tails[i+1] increases the subsequence by 1 by adding a number larger than tails[i].
    • Imagine the next number is 9. [4,5,19,3,9]. There are now two sequences of length 3: [4,5,19] and [4,5,9]. tails[2] should be updated to 9. We do this so that later we can get say 11,12,13 and any of these can increase the sequence. The new tails array will now be [3,5,9]
    • Imagine the next number is 28. [4,5,19,3,28]. There are now two sequences of length 3: [4,5,28] and [4,5,19]. tails[2] should not be updated since 19 is smaller than 28. But we now have a subsequence of 4 [4,5,19,28]. So we add 28 to the tails array to indicate that subsequence of length 4 ends at 28.
    from bisect import bisect_left
    class Solution(object):
        def lengthOfLIS(self, nums):
            """
            :type nums: List[int]
            :rtype: int
            """
            tails = []
            for num in nums:
                idx = bisect_left(tails, num)
                if idx == len(tails):
                    tails.append(num)
                else:
                    tails[idx] = num
            return len(tails)

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.