Divide and Conquer, No radix/bucket sort, just run each bit, O(n) time

The idea is to run through each bit i, divide the group of numbers into 2 groups: the group of ith bit = 1 and the group of ith bit = 0. Then we can call recursively for each group to find max gap in each group. We also need to compare with min(group 1) - max(group 0).

Since at each level, we only do linear amount of work, the total running time for 32 levels is still O(n).

class Solution(object):
        def helper(self, nums, i):
            if len(nums) < 2 or i < 0: return 0
            arr0, arr1 = [], []
            for num in nums:
                if (num>>i)&1 == 0:
                    arr0.append(num)
                else:
                    arr1.append(num)
            gap = max(self.helper(arr0, i-1), self.helper(arr1, i-1))
            if len(arr0) > 0 and len(arr1) > 0:
                gap = max(gap, min(arr1) - max(arr0))
            return gap

def maximumGap(self, nums):
            return self.helper(nums, 31)

Z

@simkieu Did you invented that? Because that's awesome, you can use this method to solve lot of thing in (big O) linear time.

@ZephyrSails Thanks, I came up with the solution myself without looking up anything. I hope it does lol.

R

Let's say the run time for you helper is f(n), where n is the size of nums. It first enumerates nums, this will take n time units, and then helper is called twice. Assume the ith bit separates nums in two small arrays with size n/2, we then get f(n) = 2f(n/2) + n. Therefore, f(n) = nlogn.

As analyzed above, your algorithm is actually O(nlogn). But as stated in the problem, 0 <= n <= 2^31, you can bound log n by 31, so in the restricted condition, you might say your algorithm run roughly in O(n) time.

This post is deleted!

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.