5-liner general case if allowing AT MOST m adjacent posts with same color, O(nm) solution with proof

The problem can actually be extended to a more general case where we allow at most madjacent posts with same color. If m=2, it will reduce to exactly the original problem. Let T[n]be the number of ways to the extended problem to paint nposts. Obviously, we have initial condition:

• T[n] = pow(k, n), for any n <= m.

Also, as in case m = 2, we can prove the recursion equation

• T[n]=(k-1)(T[n-1]+T[n-2]+...+T[n-m]), where n>m. (*)

Note that the restriction in this problem is that at most m adjacent posts with same color are allowed, so whether we can paint a post freely solely depends on how many previous adjacent posts have the same color. Let S[j][n]be the number of ways to paint nposts with exactly last jposts painted with same color (1<=j<=m), then we can decompose the total number of valid painting solutions into

• T[n]=S[m][n] + S[m-1][n] + ... + S[1][n].

Now we can have two key observations:

1. S[1][n]=(k-1)*T[n-1], that is if we have a solution to paint n-1posts, simply using a color different from postn-1to paint postnwill give a solution for S[1][n]without violating the rule (also holds vice versa).
      1. S[j][n]=S[j-1][n-1], that is if we have a solution to paint n-1posts with exactly last j-1 in different colors, simply repeating the same color from postn-1to paint postnwill give a solution for S[j][n]without violating the rule (also holds vice versa).

Now combining equations 1, 2 as well as decomposition of T[n] will prove the recursion (*). The coding will be straightforward as following. (O(nm) time, O(m) space).

Btw, I do think the corner case answer for n=0should be 1 instead of 0 (not sure what is OJ's answer). Because in the sense of math, doing nothing is also a "valid" paint way since it does not violate any rules.

int numWays(int n, int k, int m) {
      vector<int> T(m+1, 1);
      for (int i = 1; i <= m; ++i) T[i] = T[i-1] * k; // T[i] = pow(k, i) for i <= m
      for (int i = m+1, j; i++ <= n; T[m] = T[0]) // T[n] = (k-1)*(T[n-1]+...+T[n-m])
        for (j = 1, T[0] = 0; j <= m; ++j) T[0] += (k-1)*T[j], T[j] = T[(j+1)%(m+1)];    
      return T[(n <= m)*n];
    }

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.