O(N^2) MLE/TLE in C++? Try this one, Concise and Fast.

First of all, the standard O(N^2) DP solution written with C++ goes MLE/TLE in LC, but works pretty well when written with JAVA/Python :(
    It looks like this (Python version):

class Solution(object):
        def numberOfArithmeticSlices(self, A):
            dp = [defaultdict(int) for i in range(len(A))]
            res = 0
            for i in range(1, len(A)):
                for j in range(i):
                    step = A[i]-A[j]
                    dp[i][step] += 1
                    if step in dp[j]:
                        dp[i][step]+= dp[j][step]
                        res += dp[j][step]
            return res

Obviously, it maintains an array of dictionary to store the number of arithmetic subsequences (including length 2) ending with A[i]. As a result, the time and space complexity are both O(N^2) which I think is quite reasonable to deal with 0 ≤ N ≤ 1000 in LC. But it fails in C++. So I tweak the meaning of DP equation from:

DP[i][d] = the number of arithmetic subsequences ending with A[i], difference is d. (NOTE here the length of valid subsequences can be 2)

to

DP[i][d] = the number of arithmetic subsequences whose last but one number is A[i], difference is d.

After that, the length of valid subsequences we record must be at least 3. It does save memory and finally passes LC in 423 ms:

class Solution {
    public:
        int numberOfArithmeticSlices(vector<int>& A) {
            if (A.empty()) return 0;
            int n = A.size();
            vector<unordered_map<long long, int >> dp(n);
            unordered_set<int> s(A.begin(), A.end());
            int res = 0;
            for (int i = 1; i < n; ++i) {
                for (int j = i-1; j >= 0; --j) {
                    long long d = (long long)A[i] - (long long)A[j];
                    int tmp = dp[j].count(d) ? dp[j][d] : 0;
                    if (tmp) res += tmp;
                    if (s.count(A[i]+d)) dp[i][d] += 1 + tmp;
                }
            }
            return res;
        }
    };

What if there are duplicates in input? Maybe you should use a hashmap to record the number of each individual integer in rest array. But your answer is right for the reason that if there's no specific integer in the rest of array, it would not be added to the answer.

M

@胖得滚起来 It seems to me the current answer is incorrect. Tried custom test case [1,2,3,1,2,3]. The "correct" answer is 4! So it must not consider the duplicate sequence case.

C

Same here. An O(n^2) dp solution get MLE/TLE just don't make sense to me at all.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.