O(n^2) concise solution with explanation

I

For all points in array we put squared distances to all other points to a map. Then, for every distance in the map,
    we add distance*(distance -1) to result. Note that when i == j, the result is not affected.

class Solution {
    public:
        int numberOfBoomerangs(vector<pair<int, int>>& points) {
            int res = 0;
            for(int i = 0; i < points.size(); ++i) // all possible boomerang center points
            {
                unordered_map<int, int> m;
                for(int j = 0; j < points.size(); ++j)
                {
                    int dx = points[i].first - points[j].first;
                    int dy = points[i].second - points[j].second;
                    ++m[dx*dx + dy*dy];
                }
                for(auto it = m.begin(); it != m.end(); ++it)
                   res += it->second*(it->second-1);

}
            return res;
        }
    };

D

@i9r0k How can you make the claim that "Note that when i == j, the result is not affected."? I don't understand. Please could you explain?

I'm assuming that the input can have repeated points.

I

Per problem description, all points are pairwise distinct. Claiming that the result is not affected, I mean, that I could have added " if(i == j) continue;" right before "int dx = points[i].first - points[j].first;" line. But this is not necessary since when i == j then m[0] == 1 since all points are distinct and it->second*(it->second-1) == 1*(1-1) == 0 and we add 0 to the result.

D

Thanks @i9r0k -- I missed the part which said that "Given n points in the plane that are all pairwise distinct". Makes sense now.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.