Step by step detailed explanation (Python Solution)

G

Solution using Extra Space

• Use a set (hash-map) and add all the numbers in this set. The set consists of all unique values within nums.
    • Iterate from [1 to N] and add to result list if i is not in the marked set.
    class Solution(object):
        def findDisappearedNumbers(self, nums):
            """
            :type nums: List[int]
            :rtype: List[int]
            """
            marked = set(nums)
            return [i for i in range(1, len(nums)+1) if i not in marked]

Solution without using Extra Space

• Can we avoid the set and somehow mark the input array which tells us what numbers are seen and what are not? We have additional information that the numbers are positive and numbers lie between 1 and N.
    • Approach 1: Iterate the array and mark the position implied by every element as negative. Then in the second iteration, we simply need to report the positive numbers.
    class Solution(object):
            """
            """
            for i in range(len(nums)):
                x = abs(nums[i])
                nums[x-1] = -1*abs(nums[x-1])
            return [i+1 for i in range(len(nums)) if nums[i]>0]

• Approach 2: Iterate the array and add N to the existing number at the position implied by every element. This means that positions implied by the numbers present in the array will be strictly more than N (smallest number is 1 and 1+N > N). Therefore. in the second iteration, we simply need to report the numbers less than equal to N to return the missing numbers..
    class Solution(object):
            """
            """
            N = len(nums)
            for i in range(len(nums)):
                nums[(nums[i]%N)-1] += N
            return [i+1 for i in range(len(nums)) if nums[i]<=N]

The description of the first one is a bit misleading, as it makes it sound like the set is built before the iteration and only once. But the actual code creates and recreates the set over and over again during the iteration, once for every number in the range. Which btw is rather pointless... it would be simpler and more efficient to just use if i not in nums. (Not anymore)

G

Thanks! The idea was to build the set just once (extra space) and then lookup to get O(N) time. I fixed that in the code.
    Your suggestion (and my earlier code) would be N^2.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.