C++_Time: O(n), Space: O(n)_116ms_96.41%_with clear explanation by probability

Actually, we could first consider following question:

You have a file consisting of characters. The characters in the file can be read sequentially, but the length of the file is unknown. How do you pick a character so that every character in the file has equal probability of being chosen?

For this problem we can take algorithm like this:

• Draw the 1st char. If there is a second char, then we will hold 1st char by prob = 1/2, and replace the 1st char to 2nd char with prob = 1/2. After this step we suppose that the char is X now.

• After then, if there is 3rd char, then we will hold the X with prob = 2/3 and replace X to 3rd char with prob = 1/3. Why do they hold the same prob to be picked?
      Because:
      Obviously, Prob(the 3rd char is picked) = 1/3;
      Prob(the 2nd char is picked) = 1 * 1/2 * 2/3 = 1/3;
      Prob(the 1st char is picked) = 1 * 1/2 * 2/3 = 1/3;

• So we can say that when we now has n chars and there is still another char in the file, we can pick the other char with prob= 1/(n+1), also keep original char with prob = n/(n+1), then we can secure each char is picked with same prob = 1/(n+1), because prob = 1 * 1/2 * 2/3 * ···· * n/(n+1) = 1/(n+1).

Now, go back to this problem. The thought is the same, when we meet some nums[i] == target, we can use above conclusion: we can pick the other char with prob= 1/(n+1), also keep original char with prob = n/(n+1), then we can secure each char is picked with same prob = 1/(n+1).

Code:

class Solution {
    vector<int> _nums;
    public:
    Solution(vector<int> nums) {
        _nums = nums;
    }

int pick(int target) {
        int n = 0, ans = -1;
        for(int i = 0 ; i < _nums.size(); i++){
            if(_nums[i] != target) continue;
            if(n == 0){ans = i; n++;}
            else{
                n++;
                if(rand() % n == 0){ans = i;}// with prob 1/(n+1) to replace the previous index
            }
        }
        return ans;
    }
    };

0_1475804025522_F32094D6-140C-47AB-AD65-C4460D0C19AA.png

B

@jasonshieh said in C++_Time: O(n), Space: O(n)_116ms_96.41%_with clear explanation by probability:

if(rand() % n == 0){ans = i;}// with prob 1/(n+1) to replace the previous index

Could you please elaborate, how does rand()%n == 0 evaluates a probability of 1/(n+1)?

Thank you.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.