Simple Regex One-liner (Java, Python)

Update

Much nicer, I just turn an abbreviation like "i12iz4n" into a regular expression like "i.{12}iz.{4}n". Duh.

Java:

public boolean validWordAbbreviation(String word, String abbr) {
        return word.matches(abbr.replaceAll("[1-9]\\d*", ".{$0}"));
    }

Python:

def validWordAbbreviation(self, word, abbr):
        return bool(re.match(re.sub('([1-9]\d*)', r'.{\1}', abbr) + '$', word))

Obsolete original

(This now gets a memory error, since the exploding testcase I suggested at the end has been added to the test suite.)

"Clean":

regex = re.sub('\d+', lambda m: '.' * int(m.group()), abbr)
        return bool(re.match(regex + '$', word)) and not re.search('(^|\D)0', abbr)

"Dirty" (abusing how Python handles the > there):

regex = re.sub('\d+', lambda m: '.' * int(m.group()), abbr)
        return re.match(regex + '$', word) > re.search('(^|\D)0', abbr)

I turn each number into that many dots to get a regular expression. For example, when asked whether "3t2de" is a valid abbreviation for word "leetcode", I turn "3t2de" into "...t..de" and check whether that regular expression matches "leetcode", which it does. I also need to rule out the number "0" and leading zeros, which I do with another regular expression.

@1337c0d3r I suggest adding test case "bignumberhahaha", "999999999", as that gets me a fully deserved MemoryError :-)

This might be a stupid question. But how does replaceAll ("[1-9]\d*", ".{$0}") work? I understand that [1-9]\d* matches valid integer, but how did you turn $0 into the length of the replaced integer?

@mandyyo I don't. It's not the length of the replaced integer, it is the replaced integer.

@StefanPochmann Right... And how do you put the integer back? what does $0 mean?

@mandyyo $0 just means the match. In general, you can capture groups with parentheses and refer to the groups like that in the replacement string. For example, "leetcode".replaceAll("(.)(.)", "$2$1") finds pairs of characters and switches their order, resulting in the string "elteoced". Group zero is just the whole match.

@StefanPochmann Thanks a lot!

@StefanPochmann said in Simple Regex One-liner (Java, Python):

@1337c0d3r I suggest adding test case "bignumberhahaha", "999999999", as that gets me a fully deserved MemoryError :-)

Done. I've added your test case.

Z

five body on floor.

M

For fun, here's a flawed(?) c++ version:

bool validWordAbbreviation(string word, string abbr)
            {
                regex rx("([1-9][0-9]+)");
                abbr = regex_replace(abbr, rx, ".{$&}");

auto okay = regex_match(word, regex(abbr));
                return okay;
            }

Using your "bignumberhahaha", "999999999" test case, this passes with visual studio, but fails with a runtime error in the leetcode environment. The following hack does pass:

regex rx("([1-9][0-9]{0,3})");
                abbr = regex_replace(abbr, rx, ".{$&}");

This limits the number of char matches to 9999. Maybe this difference in behavior reflects differences in the respective c++ regex libraries...

The run time is poor compared to other c++ submissions -- at the lower 1% mark.

@Mix1984 You should use * instead of +, otherwise it's wrong.

That's not the reason for the problem you observe, though. Apparently the regex library indeed somehow sucks. I tried smaller numbers. "Run Code" with "bignumberhahaha", "90000" still works but takes about 228 ms. With "100000" it already gets "Runtime Error". I also tried it on my PC (gcc 4.9.3 on Windows 10 on an i7-6700), where already regex_match("", regex(".{40000}")); takes about 8 seconds. Weird. Couldn't find something about it, asked on SO now.

M

Thanks! I was thinking maybe differences between implementations of the Dinkumware C++ standard library used with visual studio/c++ and libstdc++ used by gcc. I will watch the SO thread.

This post is deleted!

L
    This post is deleted!

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.