high = mid;
                else
                    low = mid + 1;
            }

return low;
        }

N

Could you explain why you chose to use the >>> operator over >> ? Thanks

@nimitha.ramesh Using >>> can avoid overflow, since it will ignore the sign bit and set it to 0. For >>, the sign bit will not be discard.

N

@Import_Allen That makes sense - thanks for your response. But also when I tried to use the >> operator, my program timed out instead of giving me a wrong output. Any thoughts on that?

@nimitha.ramesh Let's say n = Integer.MAX_VALUE, and the expected answer is Integer.MAX_VALUE, then what will happen?

Iteration 1: Integer.MAX_VALUE > mid > 0 and isBadVersion(mid) is false, then low = mid + 1 > 1
    Iteration 2: mid < 0 (overflow), and isBadVersion(mid) is false, then low = mid + 1 <= 0
    Iteration 3: Integer.MAX_VALUE > mid > 0, and isBadVersion(mid) is false, then low = mid + 1 > 1
    Iteration 4: mid < 0 (overflow)...

So your program is going to loop between mid > 0 and mid < 0, and it's impossible for you to get mid = Integer.MAX_VALUE by using '>>', as a result your program will loop for ever.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.