2 lines Python

def isSubsequence(self, s, t):
        t = iter(t)
        return all(c in t for c in s)

Just testing whether all characters in s are also in t (in order).

Based on falsetru's code on StackOverflow which I improved a while ago, see here.

Elegant~ another note to take~
    here is my test:

a = [1,2,3,4,5]
    b = iter(a)
    print 1 in b #True
    print b.next() #2
    print 1 in b #False
    print b.next() #StopIteration 

and here is my original solution...

class Solution(object):
        def isSubsequence(self, s, t):
            start = 0
            for i in range(len(s)):
                start = t.find(s[i],start)
                if start==-1:
                    return False
                start += 1
            return True

G
    This post is deleted!

K

@StefanPochmann Do we need any improvement for the follow-up question? Thanks!

Y

Just curious, will use of "iter" "all" built in of Python considered a good solution during interview? Or interviewers are expected to write out the "iter" procedure?

X

you can check some primitive cases in advance

if len(s) == len(t):
            return s == t
        if not s:
            return True
        if len(s) > len(t):
            return False

@xiaoyudeng666 The not s case is a bit pointless, in the rare case it saves something it saves almost nothing, but it costs a little extra all the time. Plus it's more code and I find it misleading (to me, something like that suggests that it helps prevent a weakness in the rest of the code, which is not the case here). The other two cases could be combined as if len(s) >= len(t): return s == t, I'm pretty sure Python's == implementation will compare the lengths first and thus handle the len(s) > len(t) case right away.

@Yu.Nicolas I'm not an interviewer so I don't know for sure, but in my opinion it doesn't exactly demonstrate mastery of the language or of concepts if I unpythonically reimplement those wheels instead of just properly using them.

X

Oh. Thank you so much. I always learn a lot from you.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.