} else {
    			charsPositions.put(c,i);
    			uniqsPositions.add(i);
    		}
    	}
    	return uniqsPositions.isEmpty()?-1:uniqsPositions.get(0);
    }

L

Edited to add: I just realized that the re-indexing (if it occurs) has an upper bound in your function of the nth triangular number of 25 (assuming no caps, numbers, or special characters), so it's not a big deal. That makes more sense...

Original:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I haven't used Java in a while, but isn't List.remove O(n) runtime where n = index of end of list - place of item to be removed? (I think it re-indexes the entries after the one removed, so if you had a string like "abcdefabcde" you would have something like 5+4+3+2+1 re-indexing for runtime...)

I know it's like that in C# (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5cw9x18z(v=vs.110).aspx) and the comments to this suggests that the reindexing cost is similar in Java, even though the actual deletion is only O(1): http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24462513/time-complexity-for-java-arraylist-removeelement

However, I haven’t used Java for a while, so please correct me if I am mistaken or have otherwise overlooked something.

C

This wouldnt work when the char appears 3 times.

F

.toCharArray() scans over the string to make a copy of each element (o(n) where n is the length of the string) which would disqualify this solution as a single pass as well

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.