String Manipulation

Click here to see the full article post

K

Similar advice holds for Python. Instead of concatenation in a loop, form a list of strings and then use "".join(string_list) after the loop has completed.

A

How about string addition in Python. like 'Hello'+'world'

L

How about Javascript? Is there similar function like StringBuilder?

K

String is immutable in C# as well.

X

I also can't understand why String operate is O(n^2), would someone like explaining it?

W

@xiaowu4 Strings concatenation operates in O(n) but in the case above they were talking about it being O(n^2) because it was concatenating inside the for loop which is already O(n).

J

Very useful.

P

In python + is faster than ''.join() and there is nothing called append().

%timeit "a"*10 + "b"*10
    The slowest run took 6.07 times longer than the fastest. This could mean that an intermediate result is being cached.
    1000000 loops, best of 3: 224 ns per loop

%timeit ''.join(['a'*10, 'b'*10])
    The slowest run took 9.30 times longer than the fastest. This could mean that an intermediate result is being cached.
    1000000 loops, best of 3: 369 ns per loop

@poo-sesha-gmail-com You should test concatenating n strings, not just two. And the Python equivalent is to collect the parts in a list, which does have append.

S

To concatenate string efficiently, just use StringBuilder

L

quite simple contents, haha

F

Could someone explain why char[] will incur extra space after converted from string?

G

@FiftyShades , this is because you had the variable S but created an array to hold a number of characters (s.Length)

A

@Artix Let me answer my own question:

For python, we can use a list(mutable data type) to represent the whole string.
    Append one 'hello' each time.
    At last, use ''.join to forge the whole string.

li=[]
    s = '';
    for i in range(n):
        li.append('hello')';
    s = ''.join(li)

This runtime should be O(n).

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.