Python with complex numbers and OrderedDict

I dislike my solution even more than I dislike the problem, but meh, maybe some of the tricks are still news/useful for someone...

class SnakeGame(object):
        def __init__(self, width, height, food):
            food = [complex(*z) for z in food[::-1]]
            snake = collections.OrderedDict([(0, True)])
            self.score = 0
            def move(direction):
                head = next(reversed(snake)) + 1j ** 'DRU'.find(direction)
                if head in food[-1:]:
                    food.pop()
                    self.score += 1
                else:
                    snake.popitem(False)
                if head in snake or not (0 <= head.imag < width and 0 <= head.real < height):
                    return -1
                snake[head] = True
                return self.score
            self.move = move

Z

@StefanPochmann Hi man, can you please explain the idea of using complex number here? I couldn't understand it. Thanks

Z

@StefanPochmann Oh I think I got it, you use real number to represent row and complex number to represent column, so we could easily add 1 or 1j to row and col without doing something really ugly like pos[0] + direction[0], pos[1] + direction[1]. Is it correct?

@zhongyuan9817 Yes, it makes computing the neighbor coordinate nicer. Even lets me compute what to add with 1j ** ... instead of hardcoding something like [1, 1j, -1, -1j][...].

Just came up with an alternative initialization which I think is nicer. Not sure why I didn't do that earlier.

old:    food = [x + y*1j for x, y in food[::-1]]
    new:    food = [complex(*z) for z in food[::-1]]

Z

@StefanPochmann This is indeed nicer, I particularly like 1j ** 'DRU'.find(direction)

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.