Simple solution in Python

We just keep track of the index of the added elements, so when we remove them, we copy the last one into it.

From Python docs (https://wiki.python.org/moin/TimeComplexity) we know that list.append() takes O(1), both average and amortized. Dictionary get and set functions take O(1) average, so we are OK.

import random

class RandomizedSet(object):

def __init__(self):
            self.nums, self.pos = [], {}

def insert(self, val):
            if val not in self.pos:
                self.nums.append(val)
                self.pos[val] = len(self.nums) - 1
                return True
            return False

def remove(self, val):
            if val in self.pos:
                idx, last = self.pos[val], self.nums[-1]
                self.nums[idx], self.pos[last] = last, idx
                self.nums.pop(); self.pos.pop(val, 0)
                return True
            return False

def getRandom(self):
            return self.nums[random.randint(0, len(self.nums) - 1)]

# 15 / 15 test cases passed.
    # Status: Accepted
    # Runtime: 144 ms

M

@agave Interesting. Using "random.choice(self.pos.keys())" would make it O(n) correct? hence we can't use that in the random method.

Z

How does self.pos.pop make O(1)? it should be O(n)

R

I still don't understand why do you need a list ? you can store everything in a dictionary ?

X

This code does the same thing(O(1)).

def getRandom(self):
        return random.choice(self.nums)

In python lib's random.py:

def choice(self, seq):
            try:
                i = self._randbelow(len(seq))
            except ValueError:
                raise IndexError('Cannot choose')
            return seq[i]

X

@rahul8590
    When you store everything in a dictionary or set, it's fine when you insert or remove.

But if you want to achieve O(1) on getRandom(), it's impossible.
    You have to turn it into a list first, which is O(n).

@zhahaoyu self.pos is a dictionary and removing a key, value pair from a dictionary should take O(1) time

R

@agave I'm tried to solve this problem. But Getting random number in the set is differed. So my test case is getting failed

My OP - [null,true,false,true,1,true,false,1]
    test case - [null,true,false,true,2,true,false,2]

Here getting a random number may differ.

can you help me in this?

T

Thanks for the working example.

It was really hard to read the remove method because there were 2 operations per line. Yes, this style does have a place in Python, but I'd argue this usage is just chasing a low line count: Mutliple assignment (e.g. a, b = b, a) is great when the operands have a dependency on each other, which is not really the case here. Mulitple statements per line are just hard to read.

I've updated the method to be more readable:

def remove(self, val):
            if val in self.pos:
                idx = self.pos[val] # get val index in list
                last = self.nums[-1] # get the last addition
                self.nums[idx] = last # overwrite val index with last addition
                self.pos[last] = idx # update the last addition's index to it's new spot
                self.nums.pop() # get rid of the last addition from it's original spot...it now has a new home elsewhere
                del self.pos[val] # original line was "self.pos.pop(val, 0)". we don't need pop-or-default semantics here, del will work
                return True
            return False

I'd also recommend the nicer random.choice(list) interface over random.randint-ing over the length of the array. Less error prone and still O(1). Under the hood, it does the same thing. https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/3.6/Lib/random.py#L253

W

well, len(self.nums) is O(n). I would suggest to add a self.N=0 at init to record the length of the array.

@weidairpi said in Simple solution in Python:

len(self.nums) is O(n)

Uh... it's also O(1).

@weidairpi As ManueIP pointed out I believe each iterable has a length property and len() just retrieves that value making the process O(1).

T

@Ellest said in Simple solution in Python:

@weidairpi As ManueIP pointed out I believe each iterable has a length property and len() just retrieves that value making the process O(1).

Sorry to split hairs, but "iterable" has a precise meaning in Python that is different than the ability to return a length.

For example itertools.repeat("same") is iterable, but does not offer a length.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.