Detailed explanation if you don't understand, especially "put negative inc at [endIndex+1]"

You may see many of the elegant solutions (such as this solution) that puts inc at startIndex and -inc at endIndex + 1, but it might take you a while to understand why it works, if you are still stuck, read on.

The idea seems tricky at first look but is actually simple after you understand it, basically we want to achieve the final result array in two passes:

1. Iterate through the k update operations and "somehow" mark them in the [0, 0, 0, 0, 0] array (using length 5 for example), for each operation, only update startIndex and endIndex + 1. this is O(k) in total.
    2. iterate through the marked array and "somehow" transforms it to the final result array. this is O(n) in total (n = length).
      All in all it is O(n + k).

Now think in a simpler way first, if you have only one update operation, suppose input is (n = 5, updates = { {1, 3, 2} }), what does the O(n + k) solution do?

• Initialize the result array as length of n + 1, because we will operate on endIndex + 1:
      result = [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]
    • Then marks index 1 as 2 and marks index 3+1 as -2:
      result = [0, 2, 0, 0, -2, 0]
    • Next, iterate through result, and accumulates previous sum to current position, just like 303. Range Sum Query - Immutable:
      result = [0, 0 + 2, 0 + 2, 0 + 2, 2 + (-2), 0] = [0, 2, 2, 2, 0, 0]
    • Finally, trivial work to discard the last element because we don't need it:
      result = [0, 2, 2, 2, 0], which is the final result.

Now you might see why we do "puts inc at startIndex and -inc at endIndex + 1":

• Put inc at startIndex allows the inc to be carried to the next index starting from startIndex when we do the sum accumulation.
    • Put -inc at endIndex + 1 simply means cancel out the previous carry from the next index of the endIndex, because the previous carry should not be counted beyond endIndex.

And finally, because each of the update operation is independent and the list operation is just an accumulation of the "marks" we do, so it can be "makred" all at once first and do the range sum at one time at last step.

Code in c++ is simply:

vector<int> getModifiedArray(int length, vector<vector<int>>& updates) {
        vector<int> result(length + 1, 0);
        for (auto &e : updates) {
            result[e[0]] += e[2];
            result[e[1] + 1] -= e[2];
        }

// do range sum
        for (int i = 1; i < length; ++ i) {
            result[i] += result[i - 1];
        }

result.pop_back();
        return result;
    }

T

@ivan2 Thank you very much. Your explanation is so clear!

S

This is fucking brilliant! How did you come up with this idea?

R

Brilliant! Also want to know how you came out this solution.

J

Brilliant!
    I came up with this method in luck, and got accepted, but never thought about what truly lies behind our strategy!

F

I think this idea initially derives from Binary Index Tree update/find operation:

// binary index tree
        public int[] getModifiedArrayBinaryTree(int length, int[][] updates) {
            if (length == 0) return new int[0];
            int[] root = new int[length];
            for (int[] update: updates) {
                updateTree(root, update[1]+1, update[2]);
                updateTree(root, update[0], -update[2]);
            }
            for (int i = 0; i < length; i++) {
                root[i] = getValue(root, i+1, length);
            }
            return root;
        }

private void updateTree(int[] root, int i, int value){
            while (i > 0) {
                root[i-1] += value;
                i -= (i&(-i));
            }
        }

private int getValue(int[] root, int i, int n) {
            int res = 0;
            while (i <= n) {
                res += root[i-1];
                i += (i&(-i));
            }
            return res;
        }

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.