A very clean and intuitive solution (with explanation)

L

Dynamic Programming
    First, we need to define the subproblem somewhat a little clever. If we define:
    dp[i][j] = minimum cost from (0, 0) to (i, j)
    It won't help solving the problem, because the result of dp[i + 1][j + 1] does not depends only on previous solve subproblems, but also future unsolved subproblems. So, how about let's define the subproblem from the other end of the puzzle?
    dp[i][j] = minimum health level required to reach the princess when entering (i, j)

So, what is dp[i + 1][j + 1] then? It depends on the minimum between dp[i][j + 1] and dp[i + 1][j], because we want to choose the cheapest way to go. Of course we also need to add or deduct the value from dungeon matrix. But be careful, if we find that the minimum required health level is less that 0, we need to set it to 0, because we are not allowed to overdraft health. With that said:
    dp[i + 1][j + 1] = max(min(dp[i][j + 1], dp[i + 1][j]) - dungeon[i + 1][j + 1], 0);

Implementation
    To get the code cleaner, I created the dp matrix 1 row and 1 column bigger that the original input. But we need to be careful when initializing the extra row and column, everything is initialized to Infinite except cell (m, n - 1) and (m - 1, n), which should be initialized to 0.
    I attached a picture to illustrate the idea (based on the test case given in the problem statement). Then code becomes very readable.

0_1470070141386_dungeon.png

public class Solution {
        public int calculateMinimumHP(int[][] dungeon) {
    		int m = dungeon.length;
    		int n = m == 0 ? 0 : dungeon[0].length;
    		int[][] minRequred = new int[m + 1][n + 1];

for (int i = 0; i < m + 1; i++) {
    			minRequred[i][n] = Integer.MAX_VALUE;
    		}
    		for (int j = 0; j < n + 1; j++) {
    			minRequred[m][j] = Integer.MAX_VALUE;
    		}
    		minRequred[m][n - 1] = 0;
    		minRequred[m - 1][n] = 0;

for (int i = m - 1; i >= 0; i--) {
    			for (int j = n - 1; j >= 0; j--) {
    				minRequred[i][j] = Math.max(
    						Math.min(minRequred[i + 1][j], minRequred[i][j + 1]) - dungeon[i][j], 0);
    			}
    		}

return minRequred[0][0] + 1;
        }
    }

T
    This post is deleted!

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.