Thinking process from O(n^2) to O(nlogn) solution

H

The first time I see the O(n log n) solution I really wonder where the design auxiliary array comes from and how one may even hypothesize the array to be monotonically increasing. But later I figured out there's a path to evolve from the O(n^2) to O(nlogn) solution.

• Step1: the "naive" DP
      The O(n2) DP maintains an array L, with L[k] storing the max length of longest increasing subsequence (abbreviated as LIS below) ending with the k-th element of input. So the optimal substructure is L[k] = max {L[j]+1 | j < k and nums[j]<nums[k]}.

• Step2: DP with a shorter auxiliary array
      The key of this step is to examine what may update L[k], and realize:
      there could be multiple indices j of the same L[j], and the LIS with the smallest tail suffice to render a candidate LIS with length L[j]+1.

This implies that the O(n2) DP is wasting space, and hints that we should turn to cache ones causing most L[k] to potentially update -- they happen to be those LIS with smallest tail of each length.
      This gives us a new formulation of optimal substructure formulating the min tail of increasing subsequence in nums[1...k] of length l, which we denote as T[k, l]. It is trivial to make it a 1-D update by only maintaining the last two rows of T.

Now we get a DP of complexity O(n * L[n]). It is already better than the naive DP with a long input whose increasing subsequences are all short. But there is more space to improve.

• Step3: The O(nlogn) solution
      A natural question to ask, if we'd want to optimize the above DP further, is when T[k, l] is updated to num[k]. It is easy to find out that this happens when T[k-1, l-1] < nums[k] < T[k-1, l]. The left "<" ensures nums[k] can be appened after T[k-1, l-1], while the right "<" makes an update.

This leads us to wonder about occasions where the updated positions is sparse and easy to search -- when the row T[k-1, ] is monotonic we can do binary search! At this point it is all about make believe first and then prove this is indeed true.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.