A
    class Solution {
    public:
        int wiggleMaxLength(vector<int>& nums) {
            int size = nums.size();

if (size == 0) {
                return 0;
            }

/** up[i] is the length of a longest wiggle subsequence of {nums[0],...,nums[i]}, with a
                positive difference between its last two numbers. This subsequence may or may not
                include nums[i] and there may be several such subsequences (of the same length).
                We call this a subsequence of type U.
             */
            vector<int> up(size, 0);
            /** down[i] is the length of a longest wiggle subsequence of {nums[0],...,nums[i]}, with a
                negative difference between its last two numbers. This subsequence may or may not
                include nums[i] and there may be several such subsequences (of the same length).
                We call this a subsequence of type D.
             */
            vector<int> down(size, 0);

// At i=0, there is only one number and we can use it as a subsequence, i.e up[0]=down[0]=1
            up[0] = 1;
            down[0] = 1;
            for(int i=1; i<size; ++i){

if (nums[i] > nums[i-1]) {
                    /** If nums[i] > nums[i-1], then we can use nums[i] to make a longer subsequence of type U
                        Proof: We consider a subsequence of type D in {0,...,i-1} (its length is down[i-1]).
                        Let N be the last number of this subsequence.
                        - If nums[i] > N, then we can add nums[i] to the subsequence and it gives us a longer
                        valid subsequence of type U.
                        - If nums[i] <= N, then:
                        (1) N cannot be nums[i-1], because nums[i-1] < nums[i] <= N i.e. nums[i-1] < N
                        (2) We can replace N with nums[i-1] (we still have a valid
                        subsequence of type D since N >= nums[i] > nums[i-1] i.e. N > nums[i-1]),
                        and then add nums[i] to the subsequence, and we have a longer subsequence of type U.
                        Therefore up[i] = down[i-1] + 1

There is no gain in using nums[i] to make a longer subsequence of type D.
                        Proof: Let N be the last number of a subsequence of type U
                        in {0,...,i-1}.
                        Assume we can use nums[i] to make a longer subsequence of type D. Then:
                        (1) N cannot be nums[i-1], otherwise we would not be able to use nums[i]
                        to make a longer subsequence of type D as nums[i] > nums[i-1]
                        (2) Necessarily nums[i] < N, and therefore nums[i-1] < N since nums[i-1] < nums[i].
                        But this means that we could have used nums[i-1] already to make a longer
                        subsequence of type D.
                        So even if we can use nums[i], there is no gain in using it, so we keep the old value of
                        down (down[i] = down[i-1])
                    */
                    up[i] = down[i-1] + 1;
                    down[i] = down[i-1];
                }
                else if (nums[i] < nums[i-1]) {
                    /** The reasoning is similar if nums[i] < nums[i-1] */
                    down[i] = up[i-1] + 1;
                    up[i] = up[i-1];
                }
                else {
                    /** if nums[i] == nums[i-1], we cannot do anything more than what we did with
                         nums[i-1] so we just keep the old values of up and down
                    */
                    up[i] = up[i-1];
                    down[i] = down[i-1];
                }
            }
            return max(up[size-1], down[size-1]);
        }
    };

M

Thanks for your concise solution!
    Explanations below help me figure out the detail.

In the first paragraph of the comment, If nums[i] <= N case:

1. down[i-1] ends up with nums[i-1] then N should be nums[i-1].Clearly, up[i] = down[i-1]+1
    2. down[i-1] ends up with N which is not nums[i-1].You may assume that there is a M which is before N is greater than N i.e. M > N > nums[i] > nums[i-1].So we can replace N with nums[i-1] then M goes down to nums[i-1] rather than N and nums[i-1] goes up to nums[i].So we have a valid subsequence of type U which ends up with M -> nums[i-1] -> nums[i].

Maybe it's verbose...

A

Thanks for your reply. Your (2) helps but I am not sure about your (1). If nums[i] <= N, then N cannot be nums[i-1], because nums[i-1] < nums[i] <= N i.e. nums[i-1] < N. I've updated the proof.

M

@adpa Yes you are right! My mistake

C

Hi adpa,
    Thanks for your solution. I think u can make it even simpler

int size = nums.size();
        if (size == 0) return 0;
        int up = 1, down = 1;

for (int i = 1; i < size; ++i) {
                up = down + 1;
            } else if (nums[i] < nums[i-1]) {
                down = up + 1;
            }
        }
        return max(up, down);
    }

R

@adpa said in C++ 0ms O(N) dynamic programming solution:

class Solution {
    public:
            int size = nums.size();

if (size == 0) {
                return 0;
            }

/** up[i] is the length of a longest wiggle subsequence of {nums[0],...,nums[i}}, with a
                positive difference between its last two numbers. This subsequence may or may not
                We call this a subsequence of type U.
             */
            vector<int> up(size, 0);
            /** down[i] is the length of a longest wiggle subsequence of {nums[0],...,nums[i}}, with a
                negative difference between its last two numbers. This subsequence may or may not
                We call this a subsequence of type D.
             */
            vector<int> down(size, 0);

// At i=0, there is only one number and we can use it as a subsequence, i.e up[0]=down[0]=1
            up[0] = 1;
            down[0] = 1;
            for(int i=1; i<size; ++i){

/** If nums[i] > nums[i-1], then we can use nums[i] to make a longer subsequence of type U
                        We first use a subsequence of type D in {0,...,i-1} (its length is down[i-1]).
                        Let N be the last number of this subsequence.
                        If nums[i] > N, then we can add nums[i] to the subsequence and it gives us a longer
                        valid subsequence of type U.
                        If nums[i] <= N, then we can replace N with nums[i-1] (we still have a valid
                        subsequence of type D since N >= nums[i] > nums[i-1] i.e. N > nums[i-1]),
                        and then add nums[i] to the subsequence, and we have a longer subsequence of type U.
                        Therefore up[i] = down[i-1] + 1

There is no gain in using nums[i] to make a longer subsequence of type D.
                        Proof: Let N be the last number of a subsequence of type U
                        in {0,...,i-1}.
                        Assume we can use nums[i] to make a longer subsequence of type D. Then:
                        (1) N cannot be nums[i-1], otherwise we would not be able to use nums[i]
                        to make a longer subsequence of type D as nums[i] > nums[i-1]
                        (2) Necessarily nums[i] < N, and therefore nums[i-1] < N since nums[i-1] < nums[i].
                        But this means that we could have used nums[i-1] already to make a longer
                        subsequence of type D.
                        So even if we can use nums[i], there is no gain in using it, so we keep the old value of
                        down (down[i] = down[i-1])
                    */
                    up[i] = down[i-1] + 1;
                    down[i] = down[i-1];
                }
                else if (nums[i] < nums[i-1]) {
                    /** The reasoning is similar if nums[i] < nums[i-1] */
                    down[i] = up[i-1] + 1;
                    up[i] = up[i-1];
                }
                else {
                    /** if nums[i] == nums[i-1], we cannot do anything more than what we did with
                         nums[i-1] so we just keep the old values of up and down
                    */
                    up[i] = up[i-1];
                    down[i] = down[i-1];
                }
            }
            return max(up[size-1], down[size-1]);
        }
    };

J

very solid analysis!

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.