Concise C++ 0ms O(n) solution with explanation

I typed my code alone but it's quite similar to @qianzhige 's solution lol and it's based on greedy algorithm.

At first, I misunderstood the question and tried to find the maximum length of a consecutive wiggle subsequence. However, the subsequence does not need to be consecutive, then this question can be pretty simple. You just need to count the maximum length and do not need to compare.

As an element itself can form a wiggle subsequence, the initial value of the count should be 1 (you should return 0 if you are given an empty input). Flag is used to indicate what kind of element you should find next to form the wiggle subsequence.

In this algorithm, the first step is that you should find the first pair of elements which are not equal. So I set a flag = 0 as the initial value to indicate I am actually finding that first pair. Then flag = 1 means you need to move on and find the element nums[i] that nums[i] < nums[i-1] to form a longer wiggle subsequence, flag = -1 means you need to find the element nums[i] that nums[i] > nums[i-1] and so on. Every time you successfully find such an element, you should increase the count by 1. Finally, simply return the counted length.

Update (hints on the greedy algorithm):
    For example, the input is: [1,12,10,8,7,9,11,13,12,5].
    After picking 1 and 12, you form a wiggle subsequence [1,12]. Then you can pick 10, 8, 7, why do you need to pick 7 but not 10 or 8? Again, you obtain a wiggle subsequence [1,12,7] after picking 7, the next element you should pick is 13, why? If some parts of the input sequence is monotonically increasing/decreasing, how to choose the element you want (local maximum/minimum)?

class Solution {
    public:
        int wiggleMaxLength(vector<int>& nums) {
            int flag = 0, count = 1;
            for (int i = 1; i < nums.size(); ++i) {
                if (nums[i] > nums[i-1] && (flag == -1 || flag == 0)) {
                    ++count;
                    flag = 1;
                } 
                else if (nums[i] < nums[i-1] && (flag == 1 || flag == 0)) {
                    ++count;
                    flag = -1;
                }
            }
            return nums.size() == 0 ? 0 : count;
        }
    };

How did return count == 1 ? 1 : count; happen?

@StefanPochmann That's a mistake. It's fixed now :)

W
    class Solution {
    public:
        // O(n) time, O(1) space dynamic programming
        int wiggleMaxLength(vector<int>& nums) {
            int n = nums.size();
            if( n <= 1)
                return n;
            int dp = 1;
            int status = 0;
            for(int i = 1; i < n; i++) {
                if(nums[i] > nums[i-1] && status != 1)
                {
                    dp++;
                    status = 1; // Plus
                }
                else if(nums[i] < nums[i-1] && status != -1)
                {
                    dp++;
                    status = -1; // Minus
                }
            }
            return dp;
        }
    };

@wizowizo I think it's also based on greedy. But it's a good idea to use "!=" :)

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.