}

oddTail->next = evenHead;
        return oddHead;
    }

};

@gaurav.nijhara Hi, I wrote the same code with yours except this part:

oddHead->next = NULL;
    evenHead->next = NULL;

So I got an error. Why we need to set oddHead->next and evenHead->next to be NULL? At the end, return oddHead, but we set the oddHead->next = NULL, how to expect to return a valid oddHead?

I haven't used Linked List for a long time. My question may be a little stupid.

And I use Swift language to solve this question using the same solution. My run time is 236 ms, why is it so different with yours?

G

@zhugejunwei : the goal is to try to keep two separate linked lists and merge them in the end . I wrote the following statements

ListNode *oddHead = head,*oddTail = head; 
    ListNode *evenHead = head->next,*evenTail = head->next;

before -:

oddHead->next = NULL;
    evenHead->next = NULL;

The above statements mean that I have my odd linked list's head pointing to the input linked list's head and even linked list's head pointing to input linked list's head->next . Setting oddHead and evenHead to NULL breaks the first two elements into heads to two different linked lists . The rest of the logic carries from just adding alternate nodes to each linked list .

I can't say why it takes more time in swift , maybe swift's compiler is slower that cpp for the above operations .

@gaurav.nijhara At the beginning, I didn't quite understand what you mean about "Setting oddHead and evenHead to NULL breaks the first two elements into heads to two different linked lists".

So I searched a lot about the head node of a linked list. I still have a question. Why don't you need to set oddHead->next = oddTail, and so does evenHead. Because oddHead links with oddTail, and then we can do the following operation on oddTail to add nodes.

Many people said head node is a reference of the first node of a linked list, but in C++, it's declared by *, which is known as a pointer. Well, in this question, are the oddHead and evenHead two absolute nodes or references (pointers) to the first node?

Thank you very much!

G

@zhugejunwei : oddHead, evenHead, oddTail and evenTail are all pointers . Yes you read correct , a conventional linked list only has head pointer . I maintain a tail pointer which points to the last element of the lists respectively because it saves us the overhead of traversing the list every time to the end to insert a new node . Nodes need to be inserted at the end of respective lists to preserve the order of the input .

J
    class Solution {
    public:
        ListNode* oddEvenList(ListNode* head) {
            if(!head || !head->next)
    			return head;
    		ListNode* Oddhead=head;
    		ListNode* Evenhead=head->next;
    		ListNode* Odd=Oddhead;
    		ListNode* Even=Evenhead;
    		int index=1;
    		head=head->next->next;
    		while(head!=NULL)
    		{
    			if(index%2==0)
    			{
    				Even->next=head;				
    				Even=Even->next;
    			}
    			else if(index%2==1)
    			{		
    				Odd->next=head;
    				Odd=Odd->next;
    			}
    			head=head->next;
    			index++;
    		}
    		Odd->next=Evenhead;
    		return Oddhead;
        }
    };

Hi, this is my solution ,and my thoughts are the same with you.But I can't figure out why my CPP cannot pass the case [1,2,3],can you help me? Thanks a lot

@gaurav.nijhara It's been a long time, I can't stop thinking about the oddHead and evenHead everyday. Finally I understand what oddHead->next = NULL; means. Thank you very much!

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.