Is the Newton's Iteration Really O(1)?

I'm not entirely convinced that the Newton solution is really all that much better than the binary search log(n) solution.

Obviously, it takes more than one pass for the Newton solution to achieve the correct result. In fact, it takes many passes to reduce the initial "guess" to the square root of n. If you try it with the max integer size, 2147483647, Newton's iteration takes 20 cycles to even get to the correct integer value (and then has to continue cycling through ever-decreasing decimals). A log(n) binary search, on the other hand, takes 31 iterations, max.

Knowing that, it seems a little disingenuous to call Newton's iteration solution a constant-time solution when it's arguably not really any better than a log(n) search. If you were asked this question in an interview, I feel that the binary search method would be the best way to handle this problem, especially since Newton's iteration is something you either know or you don't - you aren't expected to derive it yourself in a 30 minute interview.

Is there anyone who knows the true Big O of Newton's iteration solution?

I don't see O(1), either, but at least this Newton solution computes the root of 21000000 in just 19 iterations:

class Solution(object):
        def isPerfectSquare(self, x):
            r = 2 << (x.bit_length() // 2)
            while r*r > x:
                r = (r + x/r) / 2
            return r*r == x

Looks like it's O(log(log(x))) iterations:

>>> for e in range(20):
            x = 2**2**e
            r = 2 << (x.bit_length() // 2)
            steps = 0
            while r*r > x:
                r = (r + x/r) / 2
                steps += 1
            print 'x=2**2**%d takes %d steps' % (e, steps)

x=2**2**0 takes 2 steps
    x=2**2**1 takes 1 steps
    x=2**2**2 takes 2 steps
    x=2**2**3 takes 2 steps
    x=2**2**4 takes 3 steps
    x=2**2**5 takes 4 steps
    x=2**2**6 takes 5 steps
    x=2**2**7 takes 6 steps
    x=2**2**8 takes 7 steps
    x=2**2**9 takes 8 steps
    x=2**2**10 takes 9 steps
    x=2**2**11 takes 10 steps
    x=2**2**12 takes 11 steps
    x=2**2**13 takes 12 steps
    x=2**2**14 takes 13 steps
    x=2**2**15 takes 14 steps
    x=2**2**16 takes 15 steps
    x=2**2**17 takes 16 steps
    x=2**2**18 takes 17 steps
    x=2**2**19 takes 18 steps

Though of course number of iterations is only part of the story when you're going this big. The multiplication and divisions add a comparatively large factor and I think it becomes
    O(log(log(x)) * log2(x)). Or better, if you're using better multiplication/division.

Then again, this article seems to say Newton square root takes time proportional to the time for one multiplication.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.