Java Explanation Code

C

One of the best ways to derive a solution is by finding the cases when the person who is removing the stones (1, 2 or 3) can be confident of winning the game. We will analyse some cases below and see what happens when I am the taking the first turn to remove the stones.

case 1:

Number of stones - 1, 2 or 3

Analysis - Since, I am allowed to remove a maximum of 3 stones, I will win this case.

case 2:

Number of stones - 4

Analysis - If I remove 1, the opposition removes rest 3 and wins the game .

If I remove 2, the opposition removes rest 2 and wins the game.

If I remove 3, the opposition removes the remaining 1 stone and wins the game.

Thus, if the number of initial stones are 4 I will lose the game. We can also conclude that whoever has 4 stones in their turn loses the game.

case 3:

Number of stones - 5

Analysis: If I remove 1, the opposition gets 4 and thus he loses and I win.

case 4:

Number of stones - 6

Analysis: If I remove 2, the opposition gets 4 and thus he loses and I win.

case 5:

Number of stones - 7

Analysis: If I remove 3, the opposition gets 4 and thus he loses and I win.

case 6:

Number of stones - 8

Analysis: If I remove 1, the opposition gets 7 stones and wins the game .

If I remove 2, the opposition gets 6 stones and wins the game.

If I remove 3, the opposition gets 5 stones and wins the game.

Thus, if the number of initial stones are 8 I will lose the game. We can also conclude that whoever has 8 stones in their turn loses the game.

From the above cases we see that if the number of stones during my turn is a multiple of 4 I will lose the game. Thus the code we will write is:

public boolean canWinNim(int n) {
      return !(n%4 == 0);
    }

I

@chasethebug Thanks for the detailed explanation!

B

@chasethebug Thank u
    Could you give a complex method to solve this problem? Because this method only 1 line.For example,you remove 1 stone,2 stone or 3 stone at the first time.The Second player is the same to you . I mean is you give the every possible situation.
    Thank u

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.