Well explained Java Dynamic programming style code, good for beginners like me.

Y
    public class Solution {
    public int rob(int[] nums) {
        /*
        Dynamic programming
        Bottom-up approach
        Since we cannot rob 2 adjacent houses, generally, we cannot rob house[n] and house [n-1] at the same night
        So the basic idea is to see if house[n-1] has been robbed
        If house[n-1] has been robbed, then the optimal approach should be max{robbedmoney(n-1), robbedmoney(n-2)+nums[n]}
        If house[n-1] hasn't been robbed, then the optimal approach should be robbedmoney(n-2)+nums[n]
        */

int l = nums.length;
        if (l == 0){
            return 0;
        }

int[] robbedmoney = new int[l]; //robbedmoney[i] array is used to store the maximum amount of money that can be robbed from the first i houses.
        for (int i = 0; i < l; i ++){
            if (i == 0){
                robbedmoney[i] = nums[i];
            }
            else if (i == 1){
                robbedmoney[i] = Math.max(nums[i], nums[i-1]);
            }
            else{
                robbedmoney[i] = Math.max(robbedmoney[i - 2] + nums[i], robbedmoney[i-1]);
            }
        }

return robbedmoney[l - 1];

}

}

Why "If house[n-1] has been robbed, then the optimal approach should be max{robbedmoney(n-1), robbedmoney(n-2)+nums[n]}"?

Y

Oh it should be like this: Since you cannot rob 2 adjacent house, if house n has been robbed, the maximum amount of money you can rob is either the money you got from first n-1 house, or the money you got from first n-2 house plus the money you can get from house n.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.