My explanations of the best voted Algo

O

I have to say nobody explains the sufficiency of the following algo:

The final sorted nums needs to satisfy two conditions:

If i is odd, then nums[i] >= nums[i - 1];

If i is even, then nums[i] <= nums[i - 1].

The code is just to fix the orderings of nums that do not satisfy 1
    and 2.

(from https://leetcode.com/discuss/57120/4-lines-o-n-c)

why is this greedy solution can ensure previous sequences and coming sequences W.R.T position i wiggled?

My explanation is recursive,

suppose nums[0 .. i - 1] is wiggled, for position i:

if i is odd, we already have, nums[i - 2] >= nums[i - 1],

if nums[i - 1] <= nums[i], then we does not need to do anything, its already wiggled.

if nums[i - 1] > nums[i], then we swap element at i -1 and i. Due to previous wiggled elements (nums[i - 2] >= nums[i - 1]), we know after swap the sequence is ensured to be nums[i - 2] > nums[i - 1] < nums[i], which is wiggled.

similarly,

if i is even, we already have, nums[i - 2] <= nums[i - 1],

if nums[i - 1] >= nums[i], pass

if nums[i - 1] < nums[i], after swap, we are sure to have wiggled nums[i - 2] < nums[i - 1] > nums[i].

The same recursive solution applies to all the elements in the sequence, ensuring the algo success.

public void wiggleSort(int[] nums) {
        for (int i = 1; i < nums.length; i++)
            if (((i & 1) == 0) == (nums[i - 1] < nums[i])) xwap(nums, i);
    }

private void xwap(int[] a, int i) {
        int t = a[i]; a[i] = a[i - 1]; a[i - 1] = t;
    }

D

@ofLucas Good explanation. This is indeed the theory foundation for this solution's correctness.

Besides, I know that this proof cannot be applied to wiggle sort II. But I am still trying to think the connection. Any thoughts?

Y

I like your explanation. It's important to understand why this algorithm works.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.