O(n*k^2) java solution with Trie structure (n: total number of words; k: average length of each word)

F

Apparently there is a O(n^2*k) naive solution for this problem, with n the total number of words in the "words" array and k the average length of each word:

For each word, we simply go through the words array and check whether the concatenated string is a palindrome or not.

Of course this will result in TLE as expected. To improve the algorithm, we need to reduce the number of words that is needed to check for each word, instead of iterating through the whole array. This prompted me to think if I can extract any useful information out of the process of checking whether the concatenated string is a palindrome, so that it can help eliminate as many words as possible for the rest of the words array.

To begin, here is the technique I employed to check for palindromes: maintain two pointers i and j, with i pointing to the start of the string and j to the end of the string. Characters pointed by i and j are compared. If at any time the characters pointed by them are not the same, we conclude the string is not a palindrome. Otherwise we move the two pointers towards each other until they meet in the middle and the string is a palindrome.

By examining the process above, I do find something that we may take advantage of to get rid of words that need to be checked otherwise. For example, let's say we want to append words to w0, which starts with character 'a'. Then we only need to consider words ending with character 'a', i.e., this will single out all words ending with character 'a'. If the second character of w0 is 'b' for instance, we can further reduce our candidate set to words ending with string "ba", etc. Our naive solution throws away all this "useful" information and repeats the comparison, which leads to the undesired O(n^2*k) time complexity.

In order to exploit the information gathered so far, we obviously need to restructure all the words in the words array. If you are familiar with Trie structure (I believe you are, since LeetCode has problems for it. In case you are not, see Trie), it will come to mind as we need to deal with words with common suffixes. The next step is to design the structure for each Trie node. There are at least two fields that should be covered for each TrieNode: a TrieNode array denoting the next layer of nodes and a boolean (or integer) to signify the end of a word. So our tentative TrieNode will look like this:

class TrieNode {
        TrieNode[] next;
        boolean isWord;
    }

One point here is that we assume all the words contain lowercase letters only. This is not specified in the problem statement so you probably need to confirm with the interviewer (here I assume it is the case)

Now we will rearrange each word into this Trie structure: for each word, simply starting from its last character and identify the node at the next layer by indexing into root's next array with index given by the difference between the ending character and character 'a'. If the indexed node is null, create a new node. Continue to the next layer and towards the beginning of the word in this manner until we are done with the word, at which point we will label the isWord field of the final node as true.

After building up the Trie structure, we can proceed to search for pairs of palindromes for each word in the words array. I will use the following example to explain how it works and make possible modifications of the TrieNode we proposed above.

Let's say we have these words: ["ba", "a", "aaa"], the Trie structure will be as follows:

root (f)
               | 'a'
              n1 (t)
         ------------
     'b' |          | 'a'
        n2 (t)    n3 (f)
                    | 'a'
                  n4 (t)

The letter in parentheses indicates the value of isWord for each node: f ==> false and t ==> true. The letter beside each vertical line denotes the index into the next array of the corresponding node. For example, for the first vertical line, 'a' means root.next[0] is not null. Similarly 'b' means n1.next[1] is not null, and so on.

Here is the searching process:

1. For word "ba", starting from the first character 'b', index into the root.next array with index given by 'b' - 'a' = 1. The corresponding node is null, then we know there are no words ending at this character, so the searching process is terminated;
    2. For word "a", again indexing into array root.next at index given by 'a' - 'a' = 0 will yield node n1, which is not null. We then check the value of n1.isWord. If it is true, then it is possible to obtain a palindrome by appending this word to the one currently being examined (a.k.a word "a"). Also note that the two words should be distinct, but the n1.isWord field provides no information about the word itself, which makes it impossible to distinguish the two words. So it is necessary to modify the structure of the TrieNode so that we can identify the word it represents. One easy way is to have an integer field to remember the index of the word in the words array. For non-word nodes, this integer will take negative values (-1 for example) while for those representing a word, it will be non-negative values. Suppose we have made this modification, then the two words will be identified to be the same, so we discard this pair combination. Since the word "a" has only one letter, it seems we are done with it. Or do we? Not really. What if there are words with suffix "a" ("aaa" in this case)? We need to continue to check the rest part of these words (such as "aa" for the word "aaa") and see if the rest forms a palindrome. If it is, then appending this word ("aaa" in this case) to the original word ("a") will also form a palindrome ("aaaa"). Here I take another strategy: add an integer list to each TrieNode; the list will record the indices of all words satisfying the following two conditions: each word has a suffix represented by the current Trie node; the rest of the word forms a palindrome.

Before I get to the third word "aaa", let me spell out the new TrieNode and the corresponding Trie structure for the above array.

TrieNode:

class TrieNode {
        TrieNode[] next;
        int index;
        List<Integer> list;

TrieNode() {
            next = new TrieNode[26];
            index = -1;
            list = new ArrayList<>();
        }
    }

Trie structure:

root (-1,[1,2])
                | 'a'
              n1 (1,[0,1,2])
        ---------------------
    'b' |                 | 'a'
      n2 (0,[0])    n3 (-1,[2])
                          | 'a'
                     n4 (2,[2])

The first integer in the parentheses is the index of the word in the words" array (defaulted to -1). The integers in the square bracket are the indices of words satisfying the two conditions mentioned above.

Let's continue with the third word "aaa" with this new structure. Indexing into array root.next at index given by 'a' - 'a' = 0 will yield node n1 and n1.index = 1 >= 0, which means we have a valid word now. The index of this word (which is 1) is also different from the index of the word currently being visited, a.k.a "aaa" (which is 2). So pair (2,1) is a possible concatenation to form a palindrome. But still we need to check the rest of "aaa" (excluding the substring represented by current node n1 which is "a" from the beginning of "aaa") to see if it is a palindrome. If so, (2,1) will be a valid combination. We continue in this fashion until we reach the end of "aaa". Lastly we will check n4.list to see if there are any words satisfying the two conditions specified in step 2 which are different from current word, and add the corresponding valid pairs.

Both building and searching the Trie structure take O(n*k^2), which sets the total time complexity of the solution. Here is the complete Java program:

private static class TrieNode {
        TrieNode[] next;
        int index;
        List<Integer> list;

TrieNode() {
        	next = new TrieNode[26];
        	index = -1;
        }
    }

public List<List<Integer>> palindromePairs(String[] words) {
        List<List<Integer>> res = new ArrayList<>();

TrieNode root = new TrieNode();
        for (int i = 0; i < words.length; i++) addWord(root, words[i], i);
        for (int i = 0; i < words.length; i++) search(words, i, root, res);

return res;
    }

private void addWord(TrieNode root, String word, int index) {
        for (int i = word.length() - 1; i >= 0; i--) {
            int j = word.charAt(i) - 'a';
        	if (root.next[j] == null) root.next[j] = new TrieNode();
        	if (isPalindrome(word, 0, i)) root.list.add(index);
        	root = root.next[j];
        }

root.list.add(index);
        root.index = index;
    }

private void search(String[] words, int i, TrieNode root, List<List<Integer>> res) {
        for (int j = 0; j < words[i].length(); j++) {	
        	if (root.index >= 0 && root.index != i && isPalindrome(words[i], j, words[i].length() - 1)) {
        	    res.add(Arrays.asList(i, root.index));
        	}

root = root.next[words[i].charAt(j) - 'a'];
          	if (root == null) return;
        }

for (int j : root.list) {
        	if (i == j) continue;
        	res.add(Arrays.asList(i, j));
        }
    }

private boolean isPalindrome(String word, int i, int j) {
        while (i < j) {
        	if (word.charAt(i++) != word.charAt(j--)) return false;
        }

return true;
    }

We have the TrieNode structure at the top. In the palindromePairs function, we build up the Trie by adding each word, then searching for valid pairs for each word and record the results in the res list. The last isPalindrome function checks if the substring [i, j] (both inclusive) of the given word is a palindrome.

F

Note: I have added the solution to the original post above so you can skip this one.

Here is a complete Java program:

class TrieNode {
        TrieNode[] next;
        int index;
        List<Integer> list;

TrieNode() {
        	next = new TrieNode[26];
        	index = -1;
        }
    }

public List<List<Integer>> palindromePairs(String[] words) {
        List<List<Integer>> res = new ArrayList<>();

TrieNode root = new TrieNode();
        for (int i = 0; i < words.length; i++) addWord(root, words[i], i);
        for (int i = 0; i < words.length; i++) search(words, i, root, res);

return res;
    }

private void addWord(TrieNode root, String word, int index) {
        for (int i = word.length() - 1; i >= 0; i--) {
            int j = word.charAt(i) - 'a';
        	if (root.next[j] == null) root.next[j] = new TrieNode();
        	if (isPalindrome(word, 0, i)) root.list.add(index);
        	root = root.next[j];
        }

root.list.add(index);
        root.index = index;
    }

private void search(String[] words, int i, TrieNode root, List<List<Integer>> res) {
        for (int j = 0; j < words[i].length(); j++) {	
        	if (root.index >= 0 && root.index != i && isPalindrome(words[i], j, words[i].length() - 1)) {
        	    res.add(Arrays.asList(i, root.index));
        	}

if (root == null) return;
        }

for (int j : root.list) {
        	if (i == j) continue;
        	res.add(Arrays.asList(i, j));
        }
    }

private boolean isPalindrome(String word, int i, int j) {
        while (i < j) {
        	if (word.charAt(i++) != word.charAt(j--)) return false;
        }

return true;
    }

We have the TrieNode structure at the top. In the "palindromePairs" function, we build up the Trie by adding each word, then searching for valid pairs for each word and record the results in the "res" list. The last "isPalindrome" function checks if the substring [i, j] (both inclusive) of the given word is a palindrome.

A

Thank you for sharing your idea. It's a good one! I'm thinking if you don't store the list in trie, then it turns to another problem. Check if a trie has a palindrome. Do you have any idea for this? Or check if a binary tree has palindrome?

F

Hi allenlipeng47. I actually thought about it -- "Check if a trie has a palindrome", but came across two problems: 1. For any node in the trie, we don't know how many words are under that branch. So basically we need to identify each word first (This is not the case if we can remember them when building up the trie); 2. For each identified word, we then need to check if it (or the rest of it) is a palindrome. I do not have any good idea for that, but if we can identify the word, then the "two pointer" technique is a good choice (we need O(k^2) for this).

S

@1337c0d3r @admin

I have implemented this in both Java and C++ using exactly the same logic.
    The Java program passed the test, but the C++ program encounters "Memory Limit Exceeded" error.

I think you need to adjust the online judge settings for either C++ or Java.

S

I got the same problem. Even if I freed memory after each call. The system seemed not to recycle memory back.

G

For C++, looks like the memory limit is 1mb. This memory limit should be relaxed for this question. I think the purpuse is to get the time efficiency

T
    root.list.add(index);
    root.index = index;

Why do you add the index of the word into the list if you already set the index of the node to index? Isn't there a problem if you have the following words: "abc", "cba", "dcba", "eecba". When you process "abc", you add the index of "cba" (1 in this case) using
    list.add(Arrays.asList(i, root.index));
    But this root's list will also contain the index of "cba" (in addition to the indices for "dcba", "eecba") so you end up adding (0, 1) twice in your result.

T

Oh I see. When you search you only change to next level after processing:
    So basically you check, for example of "abc", trie nodes that correspond to "" (empty string), "a", "ba", but not "cba". But the check for empty string is useless as it will not correspond to trie node with positive index.

Q

Your solution is great, but it doesn't work for this test case: {"a", "", ""}. Your program will return [[0, 2], [1, 0], [1, 2], [2, 0], [2, 1]], while [0, 1] is also a valid pair.
    The problem is because your index in the TrieNode only remembers the last word that ended with that node in the Trie.
    You need to change the type of index in the TrieNode to a List to fix this.
    @Admin, please also add {"a", "", ""} into the test cases.

F

Hi qianzhige, the original problem statement said "Given a list of unique words", your testcase does not meet this condition.

Q

You are right, I missed that condition. Thanks for your reply.

Y

The final Trie for the above example words = ["ba", "a", "aaa"] should be:

root (-1,[1,2])
                | 'a'
              n1 (1,[0,1,2])
        ---------------------
    'b' |                  | 'a'
      n2 (0,[0])    n3 (-1,[2])
                           | 'a'
                     n4 (2,[2])

F

Hi yanzhe-chen. You were right. Nice catch!

Y

I have the same MLE issue written in C++. Does anyone know how to optimise this implementation?

H

I see your points. Using a Trie to store all the reversed words. :-)

R
    class Node
    {
    public:
        int id ;
        Node** child;
        vector<int > list;
        Node()
        {
            id = -1;
            child = new Node* [26];
            for(int i=0; i<26; i++)
            {
                child[i] = NULL;
            }
        }
    public:
        ~Node()
        {
            delete[] child;
            list.clear();

}

};

class Solution {
    public:
        vector<vector<int>> palindromePairs(vector<string>& words) {
            vector<vector<int>> res;
            vector< Node* > de;
            int sz = words.size();

Node * root = new Node();
            string str ;
            for(int i=0; i<sz; i++)
            {
                str = words[i];
               addword(str,i,root,de);
            }
            for(int i=0; i<sz; i++)
            {
                str = words[i];
                searchword(res,str,i,root);

}
            for(int i=0; i<de.size(); i++)
            {
                delete (de[i]);
            }
            de.clear();
            return res;

}
        void addword( string& str , int pos , Node* root , vector<Node*>& de)
        {

int sz = str.size();
           reverse(str.begin(),str.end());
            for(int i=0; i<sz; i++)
            {
                if( isValid(str,i,sz-1) )
                {
                    (root->list).push_back(pos);
                }
                if(root->child[str[i]-'a']==NULL)
                {
                    root->child[str[i]-'a'] = new Node();
                    de.push_back(root->child[str[i]-'a']);
                }
                root = root->child[str[i]-'a'];
            }

root->id = pos;
            (root->list).push_back(pos);

}

void searchword(vector<vector<int>> & res,string& str,int pos,Node* root)
        {
            int sz = str.size();
            for(int i=0; i<sz; i++)
            {
                if( root->id!=-1 && root->id!=pos && isValid(str,i,sz-1) )
                {
                    res.push_back({pos ,root->id});
                }
                root = root->child[str[i]-'a'];
                if(root == NULL) return;
            }

for(int i=0; i<(root->list).size() ; i++)
            {
                if( pos == root->list[i] )continue;
                res.push_back({pos,root->list[i]});
            }

}

bool isValid(string& t, int left, int right) {
            while (left < right) {
                if (t[left++] != t[right--]) return false;
            }
            return true;
        }
    };

A

Can someone please explain why the complexity is O(n*k^2)? I feel that this is not easy to show - because a particular word can have upto O(n) words that can form a palindrome pair with it in the worst case. So shouldn't the complexity be quadratic in n?

F

Hi Adithya. Naively speaking, each word indeed can have up to O(n) words that can form a palindrome pair with it. If we check these words one by one, it will lead to the O(n^2*k) solution. But if we rearrange all the words in a prefix tree structure, it is possible to exclude a whole bunch of words by simply checking each letter in the word. In this way we can reduce the time complexity down to O(n*k^2). Of course we have assumed that n >> k. If n ~ k, then the complexies of the two solutions are comparable to each other.

A

Thank you for your reply, I now understand that if there are n^2 palindrome pairs, then the average word length should be O(n) and indeed nk^2 solution is better.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.