Python trivial Solution 52ms 96%

D

I tried solutions using binary search and Newton Method, but the fastest and simplest solution I got is this.....So I would not use it in a job interview, but definitely in my daily work.

from math import sqrt
    class Solution(object):
        def mySqrt(self, x):
            """
            :type x: int
            :rtype: int
            """
            if x < 2:
                return x
            else:
                return int(sqrt(x))

How is it faster or simpler than just return int(sqrt(x))?

>>> from math import sqrt
    >>> from timeit import timeit
    >>> r, n = range(1000000), 10

>>> class Solution(object):
            def mySqrt(self, x):
                if x < 2:
                    return x
                else:
                    return int(sqrt(x))

>>> timeit(lambda: map(Solution().mySqrt, r), number=n)

>>> class Solution(object):
            def mySqrt(self, x):
                return int(sqrt(x))

>>> timeit(lambda: map(Solution().mySqrt, r), number=n)

D

Good point, it is not faster.But I used some negative test cases to see what the OJ return. To my surprise, OJ gives the same value, so I added that if statement.

Well, that's just because of how the OJ's solution happens to be coded. Invalid input leading to meaningless output. It's not the same for all languages, btw, in C++ for example I just got expected output -2147483648 for input -5, and in Javascript it expects 0 for that.

D

I see, it is obvious, I should have seen that. BTW, the way you used to test algorithm speed is really nice!

Ha, actually I just realized I did something pointless. I did sum(map(...)), which I guess is a habit from Python 3. Here we have Python 2, so map(...) suffices. Changed that now, times got slightly faster.

And extracted range(1000000) now to take it out of the timing (also makes it a bit clearer that the two tests are the same).

D

Yep, the comparison method is improved! I have saved it as a template :)

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.