A stupid question regarding C++

T

Hi all,
    I'm new to C++ and in progress of learning it.
    I am just wondering when should you define a class field to be a pointer, i.e. the "*next" in ListNode class? Is it possible to define the "next" to be an object? Why or why not?

B

Because you want the class field next to store a reference to a Node object. You don't want to store a copy of the Node object. All the Node objects are allocated on the heap, and the linked list is a data-structure that stores references to the various Nodes. Another way to think about it is this: you don't want your node object to store a node object inside of it that has a node object inside of it that... It won't be convenient this way.

Z

pointer in c/c++ is the address referencing an object in the memory. and if you are using an object, it will be a copy of the object you want to reference, thus, you can not change the content of the original content, you can only change the copied object.

T

Kind of get what you mean. What about reference variable? Can we define a class field to be a reference variable?

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.