2ms Java DP Solution

L

Sorry for my poor English

public int maxProfit(int[] prices) {
        // these four variables represent your profit after executing corresponding transaction
        // in the beginning, your profit is 0. 
        // when you buy a stock ,the profit will be deducted of the price of stock.
        int firstBuy = Integer.MIN_VALUE, firstSell = 0;
        int secondBuy = Integer.MIN_VALUE, secondSell = 0;

for (int curPrice : prices) {
            if (firstBuy < -curPrice) firstBuy = -curPrice; // the max profit after you buy first stock
            if (firstSell < firstBuy + curPrice) firstSell = firstBuy + curPrice; // the max profit after you sell it
            if (secondBuy < firstSell - curPrice) secondBuy = firstSell - curPrice; // the max profit after you buy the second stock
            if (secondSell < secondBuy + curPrice) secondSell = secondBuy + curPrice; // the max profit after you sell the second stock
        }

return secondSell; // secondSell will be the max profit after passing the prices
    }

Y

How do you figure it out ?

M

Great one..my question is same..how do you guys figure it out? Is there any proper way of thinking and solving this types of problems?

Z

who can explain this solutions in detail?

Z

I really love this solution. It's easier to understand than DP solution.

S

@zachary8832 I am always trying to use DP algorithm, but unfortunately memory exceeds the limit. Could you please explain this solution in detail for me? thanks in advance.

How do you come up with this solution? Can you give readers some inspiration?

B

Try to explain this solution

// these four variables represent your profit after executing corresponding transaction
        // in the beginning, your profit is 0. 
        // when you buy a stock ,the profit will be deducted of the price of stock.
        int firstBuy = Integer.MIN_VALUE, firstSell = 0;
        int secondBuy = Integer.MIN_VALUE, secondSell = 0;

// (-firstBuy) is min value beteen [0, curPrice.index], firstBuy itself is a negative value

// (firstSell) is max profit between [0, current.index], before update it is max profit between [0, current.index-1], after update is max(firstSell.before, curPrice + firstBuy(e.g. - minValue[0, curPrice.index]))

// (secondBuy) is max profit between [0,curPrice.index] under seen prices if you hold/buy a stock between[0, curPrice.index] and haven't sell it yet.

// (secondSell) is max profit between [0,curPrice.index] under seen prices if you buy a second stock between [0,curPrice.index];

if (firstBuy < -curPrice) firstBuy = -curPrice; // the max profit after you buy first stock
            if (firstSell < firstBuy + curPrice) firstSell = firstBuy + curPrice; // the max profit after you sell it
            if (secondBuy < firstSell - curPrice) secondBuy = firstSell - curPrice; // the max profit after you buy the second stock
            if (secondSell < secondBuy + curPrice) secondSell = secondBuy + curPrice; // the max profit after you sell the second stock
        }

return secondSell; // secondSell will be the max profit after passing the prices
    }

X

@lap_218 also can't understand, would you mind specifying why firstBuy should be a negative.

T

@xiaowu4 after you buy the stock, your balance is reduced, right? That is why it is negative.

H

I've changed it a little bit to be more straight-forward.

int firstBuy = Integer.MAX_VALUE;
        //profit after buy/sell
        int afterFirstSell = 0;
        int afterSecondBuy = Integer.MIN_VALUE;
        int afterSecondSell = 0;
            firstBuy = Math.min(firstBuy, curPrice); //for first buy price ,the lower,the better
            afterFirstSell = Math.max(afterFirstSell ,curPrice-firstBuy); // the profit after first sell ,the higher,the better
            afterSecondBuy = Math.max(afterSecondBuy ,afterFirstSell - curPrice);//the profit left after second buy,the higher,the better
            afterSecondSell = Math.max(afterSecondSell ,afterSecondBuy + curPrice); // the profit left after second sell ,the higher,the better 
        }
        return afterSecondSell ; // afterSecondSell will be the max profit ultimately
    }

J

@Horanol I guess the firstSell does not represent sell price, but the profit after first sell. So it is better to change its name to afterFirstSell.

Z

nice solution!

H

@JieJackyZhang
    yeah,you're right

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.