My two line java solution

N
    public int majorityElement(int[] nums) {
         Arrays.sort(nums);
         return nums[nums.length/2];
    }

M

I don't know why someone dislikes this solution. It's absolutely correct, and very clever actually.

When an element appears more than n/2 times in the array, the middle one must be the "majority" number when array is sorted.

Think about this example:

Assume O is the "majority" and X is other numbers. The two extreme cases:

O is at the front.

[O O O O X X X]

O is at the end.

[X X X O O O O]

They both must have the "majority" number in the middle.

All the other cases:

No matter how you shift X to the front or the end, O must be in the middle:

[X O O O O X X]

[X X O O O O X]

There's a mathematical proof. But probably I'll just skip it.

C

That was really subtle.
    Though the complexity increases due to sorting, I can't disagree that it is one of the better solutions and definitely one of the solutions that you can start with in your interviews before trying to improve for complexity.
    I will up vote you. :)

M

the solution is quite great for the problem,however,when the test case is [1,2,2,3,3], the solution is 2 but the expected answer is 3 though the case or the description of the problem is not very clear

M

the solution is quite great for the problem,however,when the test case is [1,2,2,3,3], the solution is 2 but the expected answer is 3 though the case or the description of the problem is not very clear

M

According to the description, the 'majority' means the number appears more than half the size of the array. So your test case above doesn't have a majority number here. Thus it's not a valid case for this problem. I think the description is very clear though.

F

'cause it's nlogn

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.