C++ with helper

My accu[i][j] is the sum of matrix[0..i][0..j], and a(i, j) helps with edge cases.

class NumMatrix {
    public:
        NumMatrix(vector<vector<int>> &matrix) {
            accu = matrix;
            for (int i=0; i<matrix.size(); ++i)
                for (int j=0; j<matrix[0].size(); ++j)
                    accu[i][j] += a(i-1, j) + a(i, j-1) - a(i-1, j-1);
        }

int sumRegion(int row1, int col1, int row2, int col2) {
            return a(row2, col2) - a(row1-1, col2) - a(row2, col1-1) + a(row1-1, col1-1);
        }

private:
        vector<vector<int>> accu;
        int a(int i, int j) {
            return i >= 0 && j >= 0 ? accu[i][j] : 0;
        }
    };

Afterthought

Instead of

accu[i][j] += a(i-1, j) + a(i, j-1) - a(i-1, j-1);

I could use

accu[i][j] += a(i, j) - sumRegion(i, j, i, j);

which is shorter but I think less clear. I do like already using sumRegion in the precomputation, though.

Hi, Stefan. The helper a is really elegant :-)

Well, I really cannot understand accu[i][j] += a(i, j) - sumRegion(i, j, i, j);: sumRegion(i, j, i, j) is just matrix[i][j] and thus also equal to accu[i][j] and a(i, j) before its update? If so, the rhs will become 0? There must be something wrong with my understanding. Could you give me some explanations? Thanks!

sumRegion(i, j, i, j) is just matrix[i][j]

That's what it's supposed to be, but that's not how it's computed. Its actual computation involves accu[i][j], which isn't ready yet - it should be sum(matrix[0..i][0..j]) but it's only matrix[i][j] at that point. So accu[i][j] is missing the whole top/left part. Since sumRegion(i, j, i, j) uses it, it's also missing the whole top/left part and is thus matrix[i][j] minus the whole top/left part. If I negate it, it's the whole top/left part minus matrix[i][j]. By adding 2*matrix[i][j] (which is what my code line does), I get sum(matrix[0..i][0..j]).

But in reality that's not what I thought. I just saw that the precomputation line and the query line were similar, and found out how to call sumRegion in order to make it work. I found the above explanation only now :-)

Oh, cool! I got it now. The sumRegion also uses accu[i][j] and thus at that point sumRegion(i, j, i, j) is not really matrix[i][j], but with the top/left part subtracted. Cool!

R

you are super genius !!! thank you .

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.