C++ code, classical method, use your A4 paper and put a mark on it, you will see the trick

Get 2 blank papers, take a pen and write 1, 2, 3, 4 on each corner of the papers. 1 for top left, 2 for top right, etc, it does not matter which corner takes which number. But 2 papers must be marked the same way.

1/ Now take the first paper, rotate it clockwise 90 degree, leave it there.

2/ Take the second paper, flip it through the middle horizontal line:

for (int i=0; i<m/2; i++)
            swap(matrix[i], matrix[m-1-i]);

Then one hand holds top left corner, the other hand holds bottom right corner, flip the paper in such a way that top left corner becomes bottom right corner.

for (int i=0; i<m; i++)
            for (int j=0; j<i; j++)
                swap(matrix[i][j], matrix[j][i]);

Compare the 2 papers, they are the same.

Full code:

void rotate(vector<vector<int>>& matrix) {
        int m = matrix.size(), n = matrix[0].size();
        for (int i=0; i<m; i++)
            for (int j=0; j<i; j++)
                swap(matrix[i][j], matrix[j][i]);
    }

T

How about this for flip:

Why did you get downvotes?

Hi, thank you for suggesting. I did not know this would work. Is this why I get downvotes?

T

As far as I know you can swap two collections of the same type in C++, if swap(a, b) fails maybe a.swap(b).
    I don't think this would warrant a down vote, maybe it's your title or the fact the it's a code-only post.

Thank you very much! I fixed the code and it worked. I don't know what else I can write though, since the title tells everything already. :(

T

Well, you could elaborate on it, for example explain the trick, because I don't get it either. I see flip+transpose, but don't get how A4 comes in.

I see. I will add it now. Thank you for commenting. :D

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.