AC Python solution Sprague–Grundy + memoization, 40 ms

The problem is a Impartial game. In combinatorial game theory, the Sprague–Grundy theorem states that every impartial game under the normal play convention is equivalent to a nim heap of a certain size. The size is called a nimber.

Nim is a mathematical game of strategy in which two players take turns removing objects from distinct heaps. On each turn, a player must remove at least one object, and may remove any number of objects provided they all come from the same heap.

For details about the theorem and nimber see @stellari's post or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimber.

The problem then become calculate the nimber of the given 'board' and return if it is equal to zero, for any non zero nimber, player 1 wins.

Since we will recursivly call the function nimber through out the test cases, we can use a static cache to do memoization in order to save time. If every nimber required is already known for string s then the time is just O(n) where n is the length of the string. Calculate nimber(n) from scratch is O(n^2).

import re
    memo = [0, 0]

def nimber(self, n):
        size = len(self.memo)
        if n < size:
            return self.memo[n]
        if n > size:
            self.nimber(n - 1)
        ordinals = {self.memo[i] ^ self.memo[n - 2 - i] for i in xrange(n / 2)}
        ans = 0
        while ans in ordinals:
            ans += 1
        self.memo.append(ans)
        return ans

def canWin(self, s):
        ans = 0
        for n in map(len, re.split('-+', s)):
            ans ^= self.nimber(n)
        return ans != 0

# 33 / 33 test cases passed.
    # Status: Accepted
    # Runtime: 40 ms

I just noticed that the nimbers are almost periodic, making it easy to turn this into an O(n) solution.

i printed out first 100 nimbers, tried to get this period yesterday, failed to find it... Turns out the period emerge after 100......it make sense that the larger nimber is periodic.

OK, here comes the "cheat" version using the nimber sequence......

import re
    nimbers = [0, 0, 1, 1, 2, 0, 3, 1, 1, 0, 3, 3, 2, 2, 4, 0, 5, 2, 2, 3, 3, 0, 1, 1, 3,
               0, 2, 1, 1, 0, 4, 5, 2, 7, 4, 0, 1, 1, 2, 0, 3, 1, 1, 0, 3, 3, 2, 2, 4, 4,
               5, 5, 2, 3, 3, 0, 1, 1, 3, 0, 2, 1, 1, 0, 4, 5, 3, 7, 4, 8, 1, 1, 2, 0, 3,
               1, 1, 0, 3, 3, 2, 2, 4, 4, 5, 5, 9]
    period = 34
    offset = 53

def nimber(self, n):
        if n >= self.offset:
            n = self.offset + (n - self.offset) % self.period
        return self.nimbers[n]

def canWin(self, s):
        ans = 0
        for n in map(len, re.split('-+', s)):
            ans ^= self.nimber(n)
        return ans != 0

# 33 / 33 test cases passed.
    # Status: Accepted
    # Runtime: 36 ms
    # Using periodic nimber sequence

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.